• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting My First SmartPhone

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:guido:

Yes, I'm a little bit late to the party but I'm getting an iPhone 6S+ today and would like suggestions on tutorials, apps, tips and tricks that will help me get up to speed and get the most out of this technology. From the little bit of exposure I've had to any smartphone, I can tell you my fingers don't do well with the tiny little keys and I have never sent or received a text or a tweet.

CanuckSigns

I've found the LifeHacker website to be pretty good at putting these things into terms that normal people can understand,

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can get stylus pens just for the Iphone. My wife has one, but she has hers set to speaker. She talks ALL of her commands, texts, and just about everything else, so she doesn't hafta look at it all the time.

DerbyCitySignGuy

:guido:

Yes, I'm a little bit late to the party but I'm getting an iPhone 6S+ today and would like suggestions on tutorials, apps, tips and tricks that will help me get up to speed and get the most out of this technology. From the little bit of exposure I've had to any smartphone, I can tell you my fingers don't do well with the tiny little keys and I have never sent or received a text or a tweet.

Have you already gotten the iPhone? I hate them. I would rather get punched in the face than use an iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy S6 is pretty stellar. Unless you're just dead set on an iPhone, shop around a little. Also, Apple is discontinuing headphone jacks on iPhones and they're going to start using the Lightning port for headphone connections. Meaning you'll have to buy headphones specifically for your iPhone. AND you won't be able to charge and use the headphones at the same time.

Some quick smartphone advice in general though. First, don't buy a phone. Lease one. The technology changes so fast that within a couple months your fancy $600 phone isn't worth a quarter of that. Second, pay for the insurance. The extra $10 a month (or whatever it is with your carrier) is worth it. Something will fail at some point or you'll drop your phone in the toilet. Finally, don't get a huge data plan. WiFi is EVERYWHERE now. I use my phone A LOT and between my wife and I we rarely use over a gig (we have a 3 gig plan).

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I just got my first smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) two months ago and I really like being "un-chained" from my desk. It's one of the best business investments ever. Had I known how helpful it would be...and how much I would like it, I would have done it years ago. It's like being able to access the office from your pocket.

The best perks: 1) When my daughter texts me photos of my two grandsons...absolutely nothing brightens my day more. 2) Taking photos of my grandsons. 3) Taking videos of my grandsons. All of this is immediately accessible whenever I need my "fix"...anytime, or anywhere I may happen to be. The oldest is just shy of two years-old and he's already intrigued with the technology.

JB

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you already gotten the iPhone? I hate them. I would rather get punched in the face than use an iPhone. The Samsung Galaxy S6 is pretty stellar. Unless you're just dead set on an iPhone, shop around a little. Also, Apple is discontinuing headphone jacks on iPhones and they're going to start using the Lightning port for headphone connections. Meaning you'll have to buy headphones specifically for your iPhone. AND you won't be able to charge and use the headphones at the same time.

Some quick smartphone advice in general though. First, don't buy a phone. Lease one. The technology changes so fast that within a couple months your fancy $600 phone isn't worth a quarter of that. Second, pay for the insurance. The extra $10 a month (or whatever it is with your carrier) is worth it. Something will fail at some point or you'll drop your phone in the toilet. Finally, don't get a huge data plan. WiFi is EVERYWHERE now. I use my phone A LOT and between my wife and I we rarely use over a gig (we have a 3 gig plan).

I'm not a fan of Apple and, on my own, would have gone with an android system. The tipping point on my choice to get the iPhone was that the Mrs. has had one for a while and is always asking me and others how to do this or that. (She is somewhat technology adverse). This way I can improve her experience while I build mine.

Thanks for the info.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Finally, don't get a huge data plan. WiFi is EVERYWHERE now. I use my phone A LOT and between my wife and I we rarely use over a gig (we have a 3 gig plan).

No, what you need is a teenager on your plan... we have a 10 gig plan, and my wife uses about a quarter of a gig a month, I use about 1 or 1.5, and my stepson uses 8.... we get a warning every month at about 3 weeks into the month that we have hit 75% of our data....

DerbyCitySignGuy

No, what you need is a teenager on your plan... we have a 10 gig plan, and my wife uses about a quarter of a gig a month, I use about 1 or 1.5, and my stepson uses 8.... we get a warning every month at about 3 weeks into the month that we have hit 75% of our data....

Oh, man. Not looking forward to that. I have a few years to go before my daughter hits that phase.

Devon19515

Apps- FindmyIphone you can locate and lock your phone if it is ever lost. (very important)
- Reversee, allows you to take a photo of an object and instantly google search it.
- Weather, I use the Weather Channel app and it has radar.
- Square, I use Square card register to take credit card transactions in the field.

TimToad

I bit the bullet and got my first smartphone a couple of months ago and went with the Galaxy Note 5 despite being a hardcore Apple user.

It just felt right, had no shortage of bells and whistles and I love the stylus and drawing programs. The screen is actually big enough that I can sketch a quick layout in front of a client and they can get a decent idea of what I'm talking about.

The camera on it rocks and I'm learning more tools and apps everyday even for a semi-Luddite.

scott pagan

iphone 6 owner here. smartphones are very useful for tons of things. in a few weeks you'll wonder how you ever did without.

most used apps for me that did not come preinstalled are:

yahoo weather -any weather app will do but yahoo has great local photos for backgrounds and good radar maps.

google maps -easy to use directions that work with my hands free Ford SYNC.

facebook, twitter, instagram, and snapchat - social media sites that keep me up to speed w what out of town and less often seen friends and family are up to.

gas buddy -need to find closest gas station, or how about who has lowest price per gallon?

pandora and or iheartradio - build your own radio station by selecting a song, artist, genre and tell it what you like or don't as you go and it will custom tailor a "station" for your listening moods. *does use streaming data so wi-fi places (home, work) would be recommended as to not eat up too much cell data package.

you tube and or vimeo - like above, but video. **video will use more data, so be mindful.

and another recommend for a good case. i use lifeproof since it is totally waterproof (i carry it kayaking often, and had the kids film underwater clips at the pool and beach) may be a bit pricey, but for my day to day i never worry about a drop on the concrete or into a sink.

Stealth Ryder

Smartphone

Longtime Android user here who switched it IPhone 6 about a year ago... Best move I ever made, you will not regret it... Yes, do get a good case for your device mentioned above...

Last edited:

John L

I'd have to say my experience has been the exact opposite of every statement made right there. The 2 times we have tried Samsung they ended up lagging, locked, and unusable with less than half the life of iphones on our accounts.

Step away from the facebook.... According to snopes anyway, the headphone thing remains nothing more than a rumor. That would be silly and if they did such, I would enjoy my current problem free Iphone 6S until it became unusable and then look for another manufacturer... until they return to headphone port in the next release.

Leases are a scam. Upgrade for life is a scam. Free phones are a scam. Taking on the latest technology is taking on the latest unproven, sketchy, and buggy device. Buy the phone or buy it under discount from no more than a 2 year contract and roll on along with a working device. I never buy the insurance but have never been let down by either my carrier or the manufacturer on the few occasions I had some problems over the years. If you drop your phone in the toilet you deserve to pay the stupid-tax. This stuff is Chinese junk and they all know that. I will say that I have had good luck with Iphones holding on the longest though.

Finally, with my developed use, if I didn't have a grandfathered unlimited data plan I would be sunk. I use a LOT of data every month and I bet, Fred, you will as well.

A few good apps..
Ignition
Wunderlist
5-0 radio (keep an ear on the po-po)
kayak
Garmin USA

I think you will like this phone.

thewvsignguy

LOL, I feel your pain with a 14 YO Step daughter. Thankfully our service provider cuts her data off at 3 gigs, generally in a week or so. Those $500+ cell bills got old real quick!

DerbyCitySignGuy

I'd have to say my experience has been the exact opposite of every statement made right there. The 2 times we have tried Samsung they ended up lagging, locked, and unusable with less than half the life of iphones on our accounts.

Step away from the facebook.... According to snopes anyway, the headphone thing remains nothing more than a rumor. That would be silly and if they did such, I would enjoy my current problem free Iphone 6S until it became unusable and then look for another manufacturer... until they return to headphone port in the next release.

Leases are a scam. Upgrade for life is a scam. Free phones are a scam. Taking on the latest technology is taking on the latest unproven, sketchy, and buggy device. Buy the phone or buy it under discount from no more than a 2 year contract and roll on along with a working device. I never buy the insurance but have never been let down by either my carrier or the manufacturer on the few occasions I had some problems over the years. If you drop your phone in the toilet you deserve to pay the stupid-tax. This stuff is Chinese junk and they all know that. I will say that I have had good luck with Iphones holding on the longest though.

Finally, with my developed use, if I didn't have a grandfathered unlimited data plan I would be sunk. I use a LOT of data every month and I bet, Fred, you will as well.

A few good apps..
Ignition
Wunderlist
5-0 radio (keep an ear on the po-po)
kayak
Garmin USA

I think you will like this phone.

To each his own.

While it's true that the headphone jack being removed from iPhones hasn't been officially confirmed, it's almost certainly going to happen. Apple has already licensed "Made-for-iPhone" lightning port headphones. Lightning port headphones already exist.

Leasing isn't a scam. If you're going to upgrade your phone frequently, it's smart. Especially considering at the end of the lease you have the option to pay the difference and purchase the phone outright if you really like it. Otherwise, you end up buying a phone every couple of years or ending up with a phone that's outdated and likely can't run the newest iPhone or Android OS, limiting your options for apps. I can end my lease at any time and go get a new phone. It's that easy. I don't have to wait two years for a contract to run out so I can get a new phone. If I decide I don't like my phone, I simply take it in and get a new phone. Done.

Second, if you don't have phone insurance, you're going to end paying out the nose if anything goes wrong with your phone. Most manufacturer warranties on cell phones are around 90 days. You have to BUY an extended warranty after that. Apple+, Samsung warranty, whatever. Or pay the monthly fee to your carrier. Either way, if your phone isn't covered YOU become responsible for anything that happens to it. Even with the insurance, you're still going to pay for certain things. Apple+ still has a "deductible" for a broken screen on an iPhone 6 of $99 (versus $150ish without). And I don't know a single person with an iPhone who hasn't broken that glass screen at least once.

Your usage is going to be different from mine, which is going to be different from Fred's, and so on. You might be fine using the same phone for five or six years. I'm not. The technology moves way too rapidly. So buying a phone is a terrible option for me. I can pay half the price of the phone during a lease and still get a new phone every couple of years. I don't need to own the phone.

In any case, I still wouldn't own an iPhone!