• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting paid from customer using bank ACH method

Jean Shimp

My new, probably one-time, customer wants me to get set up in their payment system so they can deposit payments directly into my bank account (ACH). In order to do this I have to register and set up an account with their system. I have to give them my bank info - routing number and bank account number as well as other tax information. I am sure this is just going to be a one-time sign sale and will probably not get any repeat business. The sign job will run a couple thousand dollars. This seems to be a trend with certain types of businesses. Is it worth it for me to jump through these hoops and put my info "out there"? Any thoughts?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
My new, probably one-time, customer wants me to get set up in their payment system so they can deposit payments directly into my bank account (ACH). In order to do this I have to register and set up an account with their system. I have to give them my bank info - routing number and bank account number as well as other tax information. I am sure this is just going to be a one-time sign sale and will probably not get any repeat business. The sign job will run a couple thousand dollars. This seems to be a trend with certain types of businesses. Is it worth it for me to jump through these hoops and put my info "out there"? Any thoughts?
Seems weird to me.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm set up that way with one of the schools and it's nice because they usually pay me within a couple days of sending the invoice.

unclebun

Typically when businesses or schools (the main place we see it) use this kind of payment system, you don't give the banking info to the customer, you enter it directly on the payment processor's website. So although you are putting that info "out there", you aren't giving it to a secretary down at the superintendent's office who is going to leaver it lying around on a desk or send a copy to her criminal colleagues.

With our school system, if you register to be paid that way, you get paid within a couple of days of the invoice. If you opt out, you have to wait until the monthly "check run" and the secretary getting the double signatures and hand mailing.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
All of this info that you think is top secret is printed right on the bottom of your checks. I don't think anyone sends them out in an armored truck and it's usually the secretary that opens the mail. Whats the big deal?
We do have a wire only account and have to send that info to people all of the time. It is a savings account which I am pretty sure that you couldn't make a fake check and cash from that because the routing number is different.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Duh...that's true. I guess I don't write too many checks anymore to remember the account number and the routing number is on them. You can easily look up any bank's routing number online also.

Notarealsignguy

I have 2 types of customers, the ones that ask if the site is SSL secure and in PCI compliance before ordering and the ones that send their card number, expiration date, and CCV in a plain text, unencrypted email. I delete those emails after I swear!
Get the CC emails all of the time or they text a picture of their credit card front back along with their drivers license

Notarealsignguy

ACH is usually the way to go. Also, I know you said one time purchase, but once you are in their system, it is easier for them to use you for the next job. I'd fill out the paperwork and move on to the next job.
Exactly. There are companies that won't setup new vendors except in rare cases. You never know what the future brings so be careful what you poopoo today because it may turn into an asset later.
When I was in sales, I have filled out credit apps for stubborn customers just to make it easier for them knowing full well that they'd never do it themselves. Once that barrier was down, it was way easier to sell them. It's the same with customers when they setup new vendors. It takes time and many would rather avoid it, so make it easy.

Jean Shimp

Thanks for all the replies. I Googled the company that processes the payments and they look legit. I also like the idea of having a separate bank account for these types of transactions. If something does go wrong I will keep a minimum amount of money in this account so I won't take a big loss if someone figures out how access the funds. Judging by the replies to this post it doesn't sound like other companies have had a bad experience with ACH set ups.