• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting Versa Works to print like Flexi

K Chez

So here's my dilemma - I have jobs to do that have been previously printed from Flexi. I have sample prints to match to and the original files they were printed from, but the colors are off. I've tried various different profiles and settings, even tried re-exporting, but nothing is getting me to where I need to be. Anyone else ever been in this situation?

LittleSnakey

Yes I have had that problem, it was when using pantone spot colors. The convert spot colors was checked in the file format tab in versaworks. I have the profile for the media for both flexi and versaworks so after that I got a pretty close match.

So here's my dilemma - I have jobs to do that have been previously printed from Flexi. I have sample prints to match to and the original files they were printed from, but the colors are off. I've tried various different profiles and settings, even tried re-exporting, but nothing is getting me to where I need to be. Anyone else ever been in this situation?

mrugen

Color Matching Flexi to Versaworks

Yeah, I know, just wanted to make the FULL explanation available. Apologize if I offended. Fact is that this is a color management issue. The settings used in Flexi when producing files for print are not the same as those in VersaWorks. So the answer is to match those setting as close as possible:

1) Flexi typically uses four things to produce the color A) A monitor profile, B) a printer Choice C) a Printer profile and D) Rendering Intents.

A) VersaWorks uses the ADOBE 1998 profile as the default monitor profile. If the "Display" profile in Flexi was different, you'll need to change the one in VersaWorks to match it.

B) This is a pretty easy one, of course the printer choice should be the same ( Dah)

C) The ICC profile used in Flexi should also be used in VersaWorks. This is gonna be difficult to do since profiles are typically made for the software and sometimes cannot be used in other programs, so all I can say here is that you'll need to match these as closely as possible. If you chose, say ORCAL 3651 in Flexi, then use the same choice in VersaWorks. Again understanding that these are two different profiles. You could try placing the Flexi ICC profile used in the VersaWorks profiles folder and then try choosing it.

D) The rendering intend in Flexi are set for Bitmaps:perceptual, Vectors:Relative, in VersaWorks they are defaulted to Relative for both, change the bitmaps rendering intent to Perceptual for a closer match to flexi.

Now all of this entails some doing. There are files like the ICC profiles, the Monitor profiles etc. that can be moved from VersaWorks folders to Flexi Folders and vise versa to make color management issues a closer match. Its not too difficult but would require more than I can post on this forum, thus the recommendation for watching the videos and the whole reason I made the DVD in the first place.

In the DVD I recommended, I give complete instructions on how to move profiles, from VersaWorks to Flexi and VersaWorks as well as set the monitor profiles to match and the rendering intents, etc.. Its a process that, once achieved results in good matching, not perfect but closer than not doing this.

Hope the above can get you started.