• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting Words near the top of a curved window...

JFERG90

How do you go about desging window perf on the back of a car/van, that is curved to look straight?? is there a way to measure the curve so when you apply it it gives the appearence of straight.

Thanks

Artgunner

Maybe a fast fix would be to use paper and make a pattern by folding, cutting, taping then work finish drawing to match pattern. I did this on some extreme curves/taper and after several attempts, I got the copy straight. The layout looked like a big smile but when applied on object, it was straight.

signmeup

Lay a long rectangle of paper over the glass about the size of your graphic and mark or measure the curve that developes. Make your graphic fit this curve in your software with an envelope or mold function.

S

scarface

On some windows i'll see where this could be helpful but on most banner installs it goes with the window well IMO

iSign

On some windows i'll see where this could be helpful but on most banner installs it goes with the window well IMO

what does this mean? goes well? ...what goes well a rectangle? a curve that was made without a plan? ...exactly what are you telling us here?

I'd do it ike Adrian suggested. My last perf was on a Scion & I used scrap paper from the laminate waste & got it flat on the window, forcing a crease where the glass met the rubber trim, & I ran a pencil to that crease making an exact template for the top curve. then I cut this in the paper, checked it on the window, taped it up & made my pencil lines on the bottom & sides.

This was for an already printed job that didn't have to match that curve, but it still converted the 3D reality that looks straight across on the top, into a 2D curve that would be the one to match if I had typesetting to do.

Artgunner

Maybe a fast fix would be to use paper and make a pattern by folding, cutting, taping then work finish drawing to match pattern. I did this on some extreme curves/taper and after several attempts, I got the copy straight. The layout looked like a big smile but when applied on object, it was straight.

This is also what I do when doing graphics on concrete mixer drums. You are dealing with a taper and a curve at the same time. Art