• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ghost Reflective - Dark Gray Truck

wonderings

I have a client who wanted "ghost reflective" on his dark grey F-150. I have never dealt with this before and am trying to find information on how this process is actually done. From what I have found it seems like the option is finding a coloured vinyl reflective that is as close to the vehicle as possible is the main way of doing it. In this case I don't see anything that is a dark gray reflective. Is this the process, so some cards just might not work well for ghost reflective?

unclebun

ikarasu

But a color muse for $50, can the paint color, and use those values for your print.

You will have to tweak it a bit once you get the base values since your printer probably isn't calibrated perfectly, and greys are always the hardest to hit nicely .. but with a cheap color scanner you can get pretty close with some tweaking.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But a color muse for $50, can the paint color, and use those values for your print.

You will have to tweak it a bit once you get the base values since your printer probably isn't calibrated perfectly, and
greys are always the hardest to hit nicely .. but with a cheap color scanner you can get pretty close with some tweaking.

Got that right.

wonderings

You will have to tweak it a bit once you get the base values since your printer probably isn't calibrated perfectly, and greys are always the hardest to hit nicely .. but with a cheap color scanner you can get pretty close with some tweaking.

How is the reflective quality when printing on reflective silver or white?

ikarasu

How is the reflective quality when printing on reflective silver or white?
Grey will be fine. So the road signs you see .. those are all printed.
You get just as much reflectivity as the colored stock almost, except for black of course.

We've done thousands of police cars, all are printed and work fine.

Signarama Jockey

Could be though. You could print a wrap out on wrap film and then add the reflective on top. That way you could match the color on the same printer with the same color.

But, yeah, you're right. It's not a wrap.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We do them a lot. Pretty simple. Black reflective on black cars, white reflective on white cars. (obviously neither are a perfect match)
For other colors print onto IJ680CR-10 and laminate. No colors are ever going to match perfectly; they don't ever disappear, they just get real subtle.

For printing true grays (only), our Onyx rip has an option to rip/print using only the black ink.
Make a file with every 5% increase in black 5-100% in boxes and print that out onto your reflective. Take that and hold it up to the car and have them choose.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I’ve got some black reflective and it’s not like black vinyl. I’d say it’s a dark gray and might be what you are looking for.

This is my daily thing as I do police and ambulatory vehicles as part of my 9-5 gig. Depending on the gray (Ford changed their colors again this year), run a CMYK black and do a color swatch strip showing 5% - 100% opacities. Printing grays on reflective is fine. Latex or solvent, it's still showing the reflective.

wonderings

For printing true grays (only), our Onyx rip has an option to rip/print using only the black ink.
Make a file with every 5% increase in black 5-100% in boxes and print that out onto your reflective. Take that and hold it up to the car and have them choose.
What printer are you using? We have had trouble with grays because it is printing CMYK. we use Caldera but are contemplating switching to Onyx for their RIP as well as Align.

This is my daily thing as I do police and ambulatory vehicles as part of my 9-5 gig. Depending on the gray (Ford changed their colors again this year), run a CMYK black and do a color swatch strip showing 5% - 100% opacities. Printing grays on reflective is fine. Latex or solvent, it's still showing the reflective.
when you print on a reflective stock doesn't it diminish the reflectiveness of the vinyl?

For this specific order client has approved going with the black reflective.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 8.39.37 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 8.39.37 AM.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 66

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
What printer are you using? We have had trouble with grays because it is printing CMYK. we use Caldera but are contemplating switching to Onyx for their RIP as well as Align.

when you print on a reflective stock doesn't it diminish the reflectiveness of the vinyl?

I use an HP 560 Latex at work and VJ1324, VJ1324X, and a VJ1617H at home. NONE of these reduce reflectivity even when printing doubles strike.

Bengt Backhaus

I use a HP 310 Latex and it prints very well on reflective. And I have had the same result on an Epson 40600.
In the picture the blue text and arrows are cut in Orafol blue reflective, and the IAL logo is printed on Orafol White.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1709978326434.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709978326434.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 56

jfiscus

Rap Master

We are printing on Epson S60600 printers through Onyx rip. We are pretty happy with Onyx.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
when printing reflective vinyl, does the printed color area still reflect.. I have tried a few times and never get it to be really reflective where the ink layer is put down. Maybe I'm laying to much ink down, maybe a custom profile is needed.