• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glo in the Dark vinyl

Stacey K

I like making signs
Customer is looking for qty 12, 3.5" round stickers that are glo-in-the-dark for inside door numbers. I thought I could maybe find it in a 15"x10 yard roll ... NOT. I checked Firesprint, Zoo, Signs365, Signs.com, Vistaprint ... no luck.

This company is a bit odd, the power went out once and they couldn't find the exits. Apparently all their exit signs were burnt out. I said if the signs are lit you won't need glo-in-the-dark stickers...

What if I spray the decals with glo-in-the-dark Krylon? Will the numbers be visible or would I have to layer this?

1657745988984.png

2B

the "glow" is going to be short-lived, it will only glow as long as there is a "charge" in the material.
Also, as the material gets older it will lose its ability to keep a charge, think of a battery.

have you considered reflective material?

sure hope they don't get inspected by the fire marshal............. that's a hefty fine for not having working fire exit signs

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Why can't they fix the exit signs so they are functioning and safe, and legal?

Or

Stacey K

I like making signs
If you don't want to buy a roll, I have some on hand. ;)
Thanks! She just emailed and said they will go with reflective for inside...I like that idea better.

For next time, how does that glo material hold up? Have you been told how long it holds it's glo?

brdesign

Thanks! She just emailed and said they will go with reflective for inside...I like that idea better.

For next time, how does that glo material hold up? Have you been told how long it holds it's glo?
The cheap glow-in-the-dark vinyl doesn't last or glow very long. I used to work for a company that made a lot of ADA signs and some signs were spec'd with a particular type of glow-in-the-dark material that lasts longer. I think in some places it's starting to become part of the sign codes. I don't remember the exact name of the material, it might have been Romark material https://www.jpplus.com/rowmark-lase...4wJB9xCqSBuKdLKpp2yFWJG2StwnQqPRoCTGQQAvD_BwE

"photo-luminescent" is the term that was used in the architect's specifications

jfiscus

Rap Master
Gerber makes a glow in the dark vinyl 15" x 10 yards. It is expensive. We have used it before and it does actually hold its charge pretty long.
We still have like 6ft of it in stock currently, if you'd like call and get a quote and we can print and ship.
I am not a MM here, but not even sure if that matters here anymore since most other issues do not get addressed.

Last edited:

petepaz

isn't working exit signs a fire/osha requirement that is checked and or inspected by the town regularly. we have a fire inspector that comes in our building like 2 or 3 times a year.
they check the extinguishers, smoke/carbon monoxide alarms and our exit/emergency lighting.

but... fellers used to have glow in the dark vinyl. also did you try amazon, i have found some weird vinyl or sign products on there at small qty/sizes

Neko2

I made glow in the dark signs for emergency flashlight stations around a warehouse and office facility.
Found some rando glow sheets on Amazon and spray sealed after.
They did the trick to guide folks to the flashlights while your eyes are still adjusting to the lack of artificial light. Not sure they'd stay glowy for hours but, for what they were for, it worked quite well.
They make europium glow material now that lasts much much longer, both in glow length and overall lifespan. Much better than the old school glow materials.

MikePro

Orajet 3930, available from Fellers in 54".
i've also ordered avery sf 100 in the past from Grimco.

photo-luminescence is lackluster, but it does the trick and has been approved around these parts by building inspectors.
not sure if reflective is the solution here, as it requires light to reflect, but oh well.