• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Going out for first time in new area

midnightmadman

Hey gang, I am going out tomorrow for the first time since relocating to try to get some customers. I'm trying to figure out the "most effective" places for me to hit. I am in a city area so I need to somehow narrow down where I go..
What would some suggestions be for the most "bang for my buck" as far as stops?
Also, when im talking to potential customers if they ask where are you located, do I dare say out of home in the garage, im just getting restarted? if not what do I say?
Thanks!

Lunatic Taskbar

I would hit, things like:

Town Hall > Ask any new business coming to the area.
Realeters > Any commercial businesses changing hands
Board of trade
eyeball signs that need changing, hard to read, flaking etc.
Or you can hit very specific areas. Like only Cafes or only mom and pop shops, Hotels etc.

When i'm out and about and asked where am I located.. I normally hand over a business card and then generalize.. as where I am most people don't know it, so its easier to generalize, or you get into the area of "well do you know this street or that community. customers generally aren't really that interested. They are more interested in you being able to produce the right quality.

I would also try to leave business cards with every one you speak to in a business capacity.

gabagoo

I would hit the industrial centres. Warehouse signage is huge and generally very profitable.

Patrick46

Ian has one thing right...business cards are a must. And nice ones at that.
Brings samples and portfolios too.

I think you need to figure out what kind of signs (or whatever it is) that you want to do the most, and capitalize on that. Do you wanna do wraps, or do you wanna get into dimentional signs. Truck lettering & pinstriping, or window splashes??

I think once you get that figured out, (get specific) then you can narrow down a game plan of what kind of customers you want to deal with, and come up with a plan of attack. Then, its simply a matter of going for it.

All the best to you in your new venture. Go get 'em!!!