• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Going rate on color change wrap

ikarasu

I'm just pointing out the obvious but good thing you clearly gave them the disclaimer in before and showed it in their face after...
Sarcasm... but I hope you did.
Kind of. We went over it twice, verbally. We like to point out any areas we think will be problems to all of our customers so that they don't get an unexpected surprise.

I think 99% of what we did anybody would have accepted, the front grill looked like garbage, and we figured we were going to remove it after they saw how bad it was so they could see what we meant when we told them painting it would be the only way to get the results they wanted.

Funny enough this all happened yesterday, word of mouth is more important to the owner then some cash so we're not going to charge them and we are removing everything.

To be honest they seem kind of ditzy, she was literally inspecting the vehicle for 3 hours and at one point took out a magnifying glass!

You win some, you lose some. Usually the people with full color change you end up losing

johnnysigns

Thank you for the insight everyone! I didnt ask them for a 100% color change (door jambs and behind the cab) and they were cheaper than what anyone here has mentioned. This may be due to workmanship and I guess I would need to see some of their work up close before committing. I have no experience with Cheetah wrap and know its price. Which leads me to believe it is a very short term wrap material. Again, thank you for the insight into this.
Cheetah wrap is a permanent vinyl. It is fairly low tack which does require post heating as you work instead of at the end which is generally the way we'd work. I feel like I can install 3M/Avery faster overall than the cheetah wrap, but that's just with skill set and work flow.

johnnysigns

Scotchbrite
i have never understood WHY your insurance carrier would raise your rates,, based on doing wraps?
what is it you tell them you do now?

what is the potential additional risk for doing wraps?
My understanding is they want to be able to cover any vehicle damage that could happen as a result of housing the vehicle for the installation. If you're insured for $350K worth of inventory/machinery and you place burns down with a $120K car inside, you're going to have a problem.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is they want to be able to cover any vehicle damage that could happen as a result of housing the vehicle for the installation. If you're insured for $350K worth of inventory/machinery and you place burns down with a $120K car inside, you're going to have a problem.
understood, but really no different than if i have $500,000 worth of inventory & machinery

it seems like the insurance underwriters have a stick up their ass about certain businesses BUT NOT OTHERS where i can't see a nickel's worth of difference or additonal risk

Christian @ 2CT Media

understood, but really no different than if i have $500,000 worth of inventory & machinery

it seems like the insurance underwriters have a stick up their *** about certain businesses BUT NOT OTHERS where i can't see a nickel's worth of difference or additonal risk
Very different when it's not your equipment

crny1

Your first post said their quote was too much and now you say it is cheaper than what anyone here mentioned? The only thing I'm curious about is why you are trying to cheap out on a Denali truck in the first place? Spend the big money now to have it done right, or save your money for when you can.
You are correct. That is exactly what I said. Since I do nothing with vehicle wraps I am unaware of pricing. The only thing I know the pricing of is Cheetah wrap material. So at first when they told me a price and me knowing it was Cheetah wrap material it seemed high priced. But now that everyone has chimed in, the price they quoted me was quite low compared to what others have stated. I never stated that I wanted to "cheap out on a Denali truck". I simply ask for going rates from others to compare what I was quoted. Trust me I can afford to have it done at any shops prices that are quoted here. But just because I can doesn't mean I shouldn't shop for a place that uses good material, quality work and a better price than other competitors.

johnnysigns

I'd expect that truck to be in the higher end of the spectrum price wise given the size of the vehicle, options you want covered and the dually fender flares.

Christian @ 2CT Media

i suppose, but the insurance is still going to pay me, so it is a matter of degree
Actually, the insurance has to pay out your client in this case as it is their assets. That's how Garage keepers typically works, and why its more expensive than standard insurance for our industry.

johnnysigns

From our perspective I wouldn't call the Cheetah wrap films cheap given your install time's longer. Teckwrap and KPMF I think are still less expensive than the 3M/Avery/Oracal films. They all just install differently.

signheremd

Chettah Wrap is a material designed by Frank Fellers (of Fellers.com, the Cowboy hat) and made in the USA. I don't see it on their site now - Fellers was recently bought out, so may be that Cheetah is his new business. We have always loved working with Avery, Arlon and 3M wrap vinyls - not so much various Amazon vinyls. A quality product takes less time and is easy to work with. A cheap material costs you more in time than it saves in material cost.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
We get about a dozen inquiries a month for Color Change Wraps.... and as much as I hate leaving money on the table or saying no... I tell them NO!
We ONLY do Digitally printed Commercial Wraps.
I used to spend time with each person explaining why... but then found it's just faster to refer them to Digital EFX over an hour away who do great work in that department.

Why? 90% of them have older vehicles that NEED a paint job because theirs if failing and "heard" (from who knows where) that "Wraps are cheaper than a paint job."
When needed, I go into how Wraps don't last nearly as long as Paint jobs, especially the Vertical facing surfaces such as roofs, hood, trunk, top of fenders etc..
AND that the price is usually THE SAME if not more than an affordable, regular paint job. I also explain how there would NOT be any warranty on failing paint or clear coat.
They typically get offended by all the bad news contrary to what they "heard", even though I'm usually the FIRST place they call (thanks to google ranking)

We can process SEVERAL commercial wraps in the same time it takes to do ONE color change vehicle with less risk from disassembling parts etc.
Maybe if we had an install crew that was VERY experienced and efficient in "color change" wraps we may take it on... but I've calculated the pros and cons and we just don't want to take those on.
Same thing regarding Boats, Golf Carts, Motorcycles, Off-Road vehicles etc. NOT worth swapping out COGS in the MACHINE... in our situation.

Obviously many guys would beg to differ.

It's like, IN 'N OUT ... cranking out a simple menu quickly for a reasonable price... vs some Gourmet place with endless option that require a lot of attention from Chefs that cost a lot etc.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Scotchbrite
i have never understood WHY your insurance carrier would raise your rates,, based on doing wraps?
what is it you tell them you do now?

what is the potential additional risk for doing wraps?
We have special insurance for wraps. It's garage keepers insurance. If anything happens to a vehicle while it's in this shop, our insurance will cover it. We take apart parts of the cars all the time. If something happens while it's here, that car is covered.

Retro Graphics

You gotta do some more digging on coverages. We drastically lowered both our WC and liability costs when we finally found a carrier that wouldn't loop us into the electrical sign group as we mostly do printing and vehicles. Hell that even included doubling our garage keepers coverage.
I think it has more to do with the windows, all my quotes kept asking about the windows. I ended up with Travelers and the coverage for my shop and client vehicles is only $500/yr, (I have no employees and medical through my day job, a single employee will bring this up to $1500/yr).

ProSignTN

You are correct. That is exactly what I said. Since I do nothing with vehicle wraps I am unaware of pricing. The only thing I know the pricing of is Cheetah wrap material. So at first when they told me a price and me knowing it was Cheetah wrap material it seemed high priced. But now that everyone has chimed in, the price they quoted me was quite low compared to what others have stated. I never stated that I wanted to "cheap out on a Denali truck". I simply ask for going rates from others to compare what I was quoted. Trust me I can afford to have it done at any shops prices that are quoted here. But just because I can doesn't mean I shouldn't shop for a place that uses good material, quality work and a better price than other competitors.
Quality, Service or Price; Pick two.

Retro Graphics

And then there are the people who come in to the shop and refer to all vehicle lettering as a wrap. "Do you do wraps? I need my business name and phone number on my pick-up's doors":doh:
TRUTH, at least 75% of the people who come to me for wraps only want lettering and a logo.