• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold Leaf repair on a boat

nolanola

Hello forum.
We have a task to repair some gol leaf damage on a boat. The photos are attached. How should we proceed?
Sand with a scuffpad, apply size, apply gold leafe, apply black paint and varnish?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Boat graphics 3.jpg
    Boat graphics 3.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 144
  • Boat graphics.jpg
    Boat graphics.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 88

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What happened........... would be my first question. That looks more like it originally was executed poorly and if it was, more of it might start coming off. You might be better off, telling the customer, in their best interest. it should all be removed and redone properly. That can be patched, but if you price it correctly, you can do the whole thing over.

garyroy

If you did the original install I could see repairing it, but if someone else did, it seems like you now become responsible for their screw up.
Seems like you would have to be really good at Gold Leafing to repair this. Almost like the repair would cost what a new install would be from scratch.
The question is, will the customer be happy with the repair and if not how do you get paid. :oops:

nolanola

What happened........... would be my first question. That looks more like it originally was executed poorly and if it was, more of it might start coming off. You might be better off, telling the customer, in their best interest. it should all be removed and redone properly. That can be patched, but if you price it correctly, you can do the whole thing over.
Thank you for your response. The graphics needed to be covered for a photoshoot and it was covered with lowtack masking tape and white vinyl over it. And when it got removed, some of the gold leaf got messed up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's in the top 10 dumbest things..... or dumbest ways of doing things I've heard in the sign world in a long time.

Well, you're gonna be lucky if your gold has the same sheen to it, let alone, what karat did they use ??

You'd probably be better of, just fattening the black up on the entire word, so it matches. Can't tell from the photo if the gold is actually bad or not. If it is, engine turn it all, then fatten up the outline.

nolanola

That's in the top 10 dumbest things..... or dumbest ways of doing things I've heard in the sign world in a long time.

Well, you're gonna be lucky if your gold has the same sheen to it, let alone, what karat did they use ??

You'd probably be better of, just fattening the black up on the entire word, so it matches. Can't tell from the photo if the gold is actually bad or not. If it is, engine turn it all, then fatten up the outline.
Thank you.
I'm good at dumbest things.

2B

who put the vinyl over the gold leaf?
Who gave permission?

Golf leaf is a fickle material and as stated, the likely hood of "matching" is very improbable.
You will probably have to do a full strip and redo

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank you.
I'm good at dumbest things.
I did't say YOU were dumb, but the person who put tape directly on gold leaf and paint.... is/was. They shoulda taken a piece of whatever and made it larger than the area and tape it out beyond the gold and stripe.

Billct2

Weird that a boat gold leaf job wasn't cleared over. Vehicles are the one time you absolutely should clear it.
In my experience, patched gold always looks like cr*p, even if you use the exact same size and leaf it won't match. So if you go ahead just be sure
they know that.