• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Goldrush Alaska

Mosh

What a bunch of bumblers! These morons couldn't find gold if it fell on them. To break even they would have to get ten oz a day. You see all that equipment, two trac-hoes, $500k right there. That guy with the goatee needs an a$$ kicking, he is lucky the MOSH is not on REALiTY TV!

HulkSmash

What a bunch of bumblers! These morons couldn't find gold if it fell on them. To break even they would have to get ten oz a day. You see all that equipment, two trac-hoes, $500k right there. That guy with the goatee needs an a$$ kicking, he is lucky the MOSH is not on REALiTY TV!

GypsyGraphics

if that one guy (forgot his name) hadn't shown up and got the equipment running for them... they'd still be sitting there twiddling their thumbs... bunch a ding-a-lings.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We've watched every episode so far. The real genius was in getting the Discovery Channel to film it and pay them for coming across as losers and numbskulls.

Todd wants results but doesn't lead. His father is a loose cannon and an accident waiting to happen. Dorsey should be handed a box of tissues to cry into and shown the road. Harlan is the only one with any real ability but he has too many problems to be relied on for so much responsibility.

Considering the seriousness of their situation, it's amazing that they even considered allowing wives and kids to join them.

And all the equipment is something they should have paid for out of profits and put into play the second summer. One excavator, a smaller generator, an old fashioned wooden sluice and six guys with pans, hands and hard work would have been more profitable and less complicated the first year with a lot less pressure and tension.

I wish Mosh had a camera following him around all day! I think I would actually pay to see that...:rock-n-roll:

JimJenson

Seems like a metal detector would come in handy.
I know there are some which can find a BB sized pellet of gold at 24" or more.

And BTW, the Hoffman's still own the airport in Oregon. Them putting every dime they had into the venture is television BS.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/03S

Pat Whatley

Todd is a disaster. If anyone in the group had a set of balls they'd kick his ass, Dorsey is the only one who's stood up to him....then he just ran away and went fishing. His dad is apparently the snake oil salesman who put all of this together. I love the end of the episode where they'd found their first $20 worth of gold and dad has everyone gathered around telling them they'll have $100,000 by the end of the week and $1,000,000 by the end of summer and everyone just smiled and drooled.

I'm hoping by the final episode one of them gets eaten by the mom of that bear they shot.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I heard a few times where it was mentioned Todd had spent around $250k already and that's what they needed to make to break even. I have no idea how much all the equipment cost PLUS the transportation costs to get it in the middle of no where. But I'm pretty sure it is more than $250k. Last season he went to the old guys house that owns their gold mine property to buy some new piece of old equipment and it was really expensive. He paid a little and put the rest on an IOU. I wonder how much he actually owes. Maybe his dad was right. They better find those waterfalls and fast!

Also I don't get why that one guys (backup welder) is building such a huge and complicated house. Does he own that property? Seems like you would want to get by with as little as possible until you got money. Your kids and wife can live in a shack too... Or is it because they got some TV money?

Interesting show but they do all seem a little dense.

CES020

I really liked last week when they got the thing running and no gold was coming out. They went to the neighbors for help and the 15 year old kid came over and told them they had the pipes routed wrong. Then, they got a few specs of gold and got all excited. The 15 year old kid looked and said something like "See that, that's gold fever".

Smart kid for 15 years old. A heck of a lot smarter than all those meat heads on the show.

vinylbarry

Yeah and the kid said its going to take allot more then he said a whole lot more just to break even lol he knows.

But hes been around it for a long time.

I still like to watch the show......

No guts no glory.....................HEHE

GB2

Old Member
Did anyone see the last episode of Sara Palin's Alaska, where they were panning for gold on the north western coast? It seemed like not too much effort to come up with $1000 worth of gold in one day and there were lots of people scattered all over the beach doing the same thing and also diving for what seemed to be an endless supply of gold just 50 feet off shore. And how about $600 cash for Dorsey going out on that fishing boat for one day...I think I want to move to Alaska!

TheSnowman

Yea that show is messed up. I'm thinking if you are about to lose your house and everything to your name, you shouldn't spend 250K+ on equipment you know nothing about, and you should have paid off your house instead, and been fine.

Pat Whatley

You know, during the California gold rush the people that really got rich were the merchants set up selling mining equipment and supplies.

Watching the show I get the feeling the same thing is going on now.

AUTO-FX

Did anyone see the last episode of Sara Palin's Alaska, where they were panning for gold on the north western coast? It seemed like not too much effort to come up with $1000 worth of gold in one day day...

Yeah but we dont know how many hours were really spent panning.This is TV. Could have been more than one day. Hey, if it was that easy, everyone would be up there doing it! Statistically, it would probably be more worth while to rob a bank.

John L

You know, during the California gold rush the people that really got rich were the merchants set up selling mining equipment and supplies.

Fellers, Glantz, Pioneer, GBC SignWarehouse, TubeLite..... all selling tools to the gold miners.

W

wetgravy

The merchants also would prime areas to create a rush to a particular area by seeding it with nuggets.

They still do it today ... only they now do it as part of the admission fee to feel like you accomplished something awesome at parks. Might still do it in places like alaska too.

K Chez

This show is so contrived it's not even funny-almost makes American Chopper seem non manufactured. Bringing your wives and kids to a mining camp for the season when your all supposedly all broke and throwing the last of your life savings into the "hope" of striking gold is a great way to minimize expenses and distractions. "Come on honey, bring the kids-were all gonna be on TV!" They struck gold alright-in the form of a check from the Discovery Channel. The show is as real as Gilligan's Island.