• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good media for retractable banners

PaPrinter

Hello, I was wondering if there were any preferred media to use for retractable banners. Vinyl would work but is there anything to look for or avoid? They will be indoor and printed on a flatbed UV printer. So many samples to choose from. A smooth finish would be nice in my opinion.

Thank you.:smile:

oksigns

I've used anything from 9mil/14mil scrim banner to canvas. Canvas stands up nicely but can be heavy, but I find the 14mil scrim banner to be a good in-between.

TimToad

We primarily use ULTRAFLEX ultra smooth blockout. For larger stands we use 14 oz.. For smaller, shorter ones we'll use the 12 oz.

Scrim banner will always curl along the edges at some point and especially on full bleeds.

We really like the nice smooth look of the material we use. Its affordable, rolls in and out better than scrim and offers a much better visual presentation.

Dan360

We primarily use ULTRAFLEX ultra smooth blockout. For larger stands we use 14 oz.. For smaller, shorter ones we'll use the 12 oz.

Scrim banner will always curl along the edges at some point and especially on full bleeds.

We really like the nice smooth look of the material we use. Its affordable, rolls in and out better than scrim and offers a much better visual presentation.

+1

Image quality is so nice on that stuff.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We use Bantex 10 oz. 2 sided blockout. Pretty much just like the ultraflex ultrasmooth. (Curl Free).

PaPrinter

Got a price on the Bantex, very pricey. Called Ultraflex on the Ultrasmooth, they do have a super smooth pet blockout 13 oz, maybe that what we are referring to? Have a sample roll coming my way. Grimco has a product called rollup. They told me it's perfect for what I am trying to do. Have a roll of that coming too.

Got a price on the Bantex, very pricey. Called Ultraflex on the Ultrasmooth, they do have a super smooth pet blockout 13 oz, maybe that what we are referring to? Have a sample roll coming my way. Grimco has a product called rollup. They told me it's perfect for what I am trying to do. Have a roll of that coming too.

I'm interested in how the Grimco Product works. It says it's a roll up film.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've always used plain old vanilla 10oz Ultraflex. But then I use that for virtually all banner work. Never had any complaints. The only reason to use anything heavier than 10oz might be gift wrapping a cape buffalo or something.

PaPrinter

I've always used plain old vanilla 10oz Ultraflex. But then I use that for virtually all banner work. Never had any complaints. The only reason to use anything heavier than 10oz might be gift wrapping a cape buffalo or something.

My understand was that a lot of normal materials will curl after using the banner a few times. Maybe this is not the case? I do want to avoid that though.

Desert_Signs

I might have missed it, but what are you printing with? I tried the roll-up and it works great, but you can't send it to the take up with solvent inks.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
My understand was that a lot of normal materials will curl after using the banner a few times. Maybe this is not the case? I do want to avoid that though.

It might get a slight bow in it but it's not going to curl up like a ribbon on a Christmas gift. So what? A piece of material held rigid at the top and bottom and pulled tight can only curl as much as there is any stretch in the material itself. Thus sayeth the various physical laws under which the external reality labors.

player

What's the material I have seen used at trade shows that is more like thin plastic than banner fabric?

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
What's the material I have seen used at trade shows that is more like thin plastic than banner fabric?

Usually a Poly coated Grey backer material like the Arlon DPF210 or the Magic mentioned above. Our customers prefer it over standard banner materials.

ProColorGraphics

The Grimco roll up material works great! In the HP latex anyways. I'm sure it works fine in solvent printers too. Vinyl banner just looks cheap in a roll up stand in my opinion.

guitarguy69

PET 15 oz. material works great, no curl at all and the print looks real clean and presents well. I use the inside, or reverse wound portion as the outer or print out side tends to look a little streaky. I am also curious to try the grey backer PET 12 oz. material. I'm not a huge fan of Ultra-Flex, but the 15 oz. PET just works.