• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got in too deep. Need advice for (2) 48x210 faces

TSC1985

Hello,

I got in a little too deep with replacing sign faces. We are not an electrical sign company, we just simply change the sign faces of existing lighted signs. I however have a very good client that just bought a property that wants to get new faces for his double sided 48"x 210" cabinet. I gave him a pretty good industry average price based on the fact that my buddy would be doing the channel letters at the same time and have his equipment to install so my question is...

How do i create this SINGLE PIECE lexan, with translucent vinyl? (solid color background with 1 color text on 2 lines)
How in the world do I transport and install this beast without a boom truck?

Thank you

CanuckSigns

Without seeing the sign up close its hard to know fr sure, but 99% of backlit signs this size are made with something called "flex face" which is like a translucent banner, it installs very differently to polycarbonate, it has to be tensioned all around the perimeter to get the wrinkles out, how that is done will depend on the manufacturer of the cabinet.

However if I'm wrong and it is polycarbonate, you would just buy roll stock, apply your lettering, roll it back up to transport.

TSC1985

Without seeing the sign up close its hard to know fr sure, but 99% of backlit signs this size are made with something called "flex face" which is like a translucent banner, it installs very differently to polycarbonate, it has to be tensioned all around the perimeter to get the wrinkles out, how that is done will depend on the manufacturer of the cabinet.

However if I'm wrong and it is polycarbonate, you would just buy roll stock, apply your lettering, roll it back up to transport.

The old metal sign cabinet is already existing and the face would be 3/16" poly. I assume that when I called my supplier that what the had was "roll stock" as it was rolled up for me. How heavy is it? How would you install it if its 10-12ft in the air?
Can I ask what your rate for install would be?

Thank you for the reply!

CanuckSigns

The old metal sign cabinet is already existing and the face would be 3/16" poly. I assume that when I called my supplier that what the had was "roll stock" as it was rolled up for me. How heavy is it? How would you install it if its 10-12ft in the air?
Can I ask what your rate for install would be?

Thank you for the reply!

That's going to be a very heavy sign face! Polycarbonate weighs around a pound a sq/ft, so not something you want to mess around with.

Install should be done with a bucket truck

Are you 100% sure it's not flex face?

TSC1985

That's going to be a very heavy sign face! Polycarbonate weighs around a pound a sq/ft, so not something you want to mess around with.

Install should be done with a hoist that can handle the 700+ pounds the sign weighs.

Are you 100% sure it's not flex face?

O ya 100% sure. Current signs in there are (2) piece with bolts down the middle holding the seam together. In fact its (1) 9ft piece and (1) 8.5' bolted together to make the width.

player

They are only 17.5' long. What's the big deal? Seriously.

You need to either use Flexface as Watson Signs stated, or use Lexan. If they are lexan, you hopefully can retrieve the frames. If there are frames, you will need to make locking strips, and get special Lean glue, plus bolt them in place. The size of the material is very specific so you don't get oil canning and bowing etc. from the expansion.

reQ

Just installed 4'x28' polycarb face. 10ft in the air. 2 people & ladders. Took us 25 minutes from taking the frame down, installing the face in it & putting it back on the frame.

TSC1985

They are only 17.5' long. What's the big deal? Seriously.

You need to either use Flexface as Watson Signs stated, or use Lexan. If they are lexan, you hopefully can retrieve the frames. If there are frames, you will need to make locking strips, and get special Lean glue, plus bolt them in place. The size of the material is very specific so you don't get oil canning and bowing etc. from the expansion.

They want to do 1 piece. I'm concerned with how to get 70sqft into the cabinet

TSC1985

Just installed 4'x28' polycarb face. 10ft in the air. 2 people & ladders. Took us 25 minutes from taking the frame down, installing the face in it & putting it back on the frame.

How heavy? Did you have to roll it up to transport?

reQ

How heavy? Did you have to roll it up to transport?
Pretty heavy but not to bad. Yes, i don't have long trailer so i rolled it for transporting. Glued hanger strips onsite & installed it. Your sign is not that big, just don't rush it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it off ladders, you can always rent scaffold.

TSC1985

Pretty heavy but not to bad. Yes, i don't have long trailer so i rolled it for transporting. Glued hanger strips onsite & installed it. Your sign is not that big, just don't rush it. If you don't feel comfortable doing it off ladders, you can always rent scaffold.

This! I think this is what I had in mind. They want a full color background(red) with 2 lines of copy in different colors. Would you recommend Oracal 8500 translucent cuy vinyl or Orcal 3850 full color translucent print?

Thank you!

player

They want to do 1 piece. I'm concerned with how to get 70sqft into the cabinet

Of course they would be 1 piece. You keep talking about the numbers like they are WAY to large... 70sq.ft., 210 inches long... The way you are talking about this job it may be too much for you. I have made signs 8' x 40' in one piece (Flex-face). I have made a ton of signs bigger than what you are talking out of Plexi and Lexan. If you are not knowledgeable and experienced this could be a danger to you and everyone around that sign.

You need the frames. I would never glue the locking strips on site, but that is just me. Lexan is not easy to glue. Plus you will need to calculate the sizes so the sheets can expand and contract. The faces are supposed to hang from the top strips with enough clearance on the bottom for expansion and contraction. The bottom of the face is not supposed to touch the bottom of the frame. Same with the ends. Use your buddy's equipment to transport, and as you say install. If not rent a U-haul truck and then work off the top of it for the install.

TSC1985

Of course they would be 1 piece. You keep talking about the numbers like they are WAY to large... 70sq.ft., 210 inches long... The way you are talking about this job it may be too much for you. I have made signs 8' x 40' in one piece (Flex-face). I have made a ton of signs bigger than what you are talking out of Plexi and Lexan. If you are not knowledgeable and experienced this could be a danger to you and everyone around that sign.

You need the frames. I would never glue the locking strips on site, but that is just me. Lexan is not easy to glue. Plus you will need to calculate the sizes so the sheets can expand and contract. The faces are supposed to hang from the top strips with enough clearance on the bottom for expansion and contraction. The bottom of the face is not supposed to touch the bottom of the frame. Same with the ends. Use your buddy's equipment to transport, and as you say install. If not rent a U-haul truck and then work off the top of it for the install.

We have done plenty of hangar bars on 4x8's etc just not to this magnitude. If not gluing the hanger bar on site, can you glue it at the shop and roll it up for transport?

reQ

We have done plenty of hangar bars on 4x8's etc just not to this magnitude. If not gluing the hanger bar on site, can you glue it at the shop and roll it up for transport?

They most likely will pop. U also can use rivets if that helps.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can't pre-glue them in, unless the face can lie flat on a trailer. They will snap off if rolled up.

At that size, double-sided....... I would think you need bumpers in there.

We're doing a 30" x 336" sign face and a 36" x 240" at the same location. Doing them both in two pieces to make it more manageable and a little less costly. Up about 18' in the air. By myself, I got the 28' sign out to take measurements. It had some weight to it. I only went out about 20'. Then pushed it back in. That was a little harder, especially with the wind.

Be careful and make sure you take out all the proper permits, cause you do sound like you're in over your head. Do you have the right insurance for doing this kinda work ??

TSC1985

You can't pre-glue them in, unless the face can lie flat on a trailer. They will snap off if rolled up.

At that size, double-sided....... I would think you need bumpers in there.

We're doing a 30" x 336" sign face and a 36" x 240" at the same location. Doing them both in two pieces to make it more manageable and a little less costly. Up about 18' in the air. By myself, I got the 28' sign out to take measurements. It had some weight to it. I only went out about 20'. Then pushed it back in. That was a little harder, especially with the wind.

Be careful and make sure you take out all the proper permits, cause you do sound like you're in over your head. Do you have the right insurance for doing this kinda work ??

I dont think that we have done it in 2 pieces like that before. How do you hide the seam?

player

You need to show us a picture of the sign, and specifically a close up of the framing system.

If it is using a EX7 style frame, then do it in one piece. But we need to see it.