• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graduated Vinyl

Tina

Hi Gang, Had a question about the term "graduated" vinyl. Am I correct in assuming that graduated means the gradual changing of colors in your design? Yes I am a newbie and am trying to learn this stuff- can you tell???

When we bought our Lynx plotter with the LXI 7.5 software from SignWarehouse (gotta love that place-NOT), we asked Charlie in sales, who is no longer there, how do we make decals that are more than one color. He said that it was called graduated and that the software could do it for you very simply. It would walk you through the process. We are now trying to make some graduated text for my husband's truck (nothing fancy, just some text) and are having trouble. Appearantly somone forgot to tell the software that is was supposed to do the job very simply and walk us throught the process! Can someone give me some tips?

Also, a while back someone had asked if anyone knew where to get the clip art for the stick figure families that are now really popular. At the time, no one had responded to him. Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was that asked. Does anyone know where I could get the software or clipart to make those decals?

Thanks for the info.

Tina

PMG

the software will not walk you threw this,,if you want graduated colors you need to (1) Print them (2) Buy the Graduated Vinyl (3) Air Brush the color fade...............

Am I correct in assuming that graduated means the gradual changing of colors in your design?

It's not just the gradual changing of colors in your design...the entire roll of vinyl is one color at the top edge and gradually fades to another color at the bottom edge. You have to position your design just so on the vinyl to get the best effect. You can use your software to position the graphic, but the software won't "walk you through it". A cheaper, better, and longer-lasting option is to cut your graphic in a solid color and use spray paint or an airbrush to fade it yourself. It's not as hard as you might think...give it a try.

cdsgraphic

:wine-smi:

Attachments

• vinyl type.jpg
    vinyl type.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 129

Tina

I'm sorry I may have confused my question. What I want to do but can't find the process with my software is- overlay a, say silver letter with a black background all the way around it. Like a 3" letter then a 4" letter in the background. I found the process for shadowing but that just puts the shadow to one side or the other. As I stated we are very new at this and this has become very confusing to us. Also please tell me what that type of lettering is called, that is what we understood that graduated meant but after reading some of the post's I am now confused even more. Thank you all for your quick responses.

Tina

OOPS, thanks cdsgraphic, I just went back and saw your attachment. I am looking at how to do the LAYERED lettering.

ManningSigns

I see you have the LXI 7.5 software. You must have the expert ( software) or better. If you only have the apprentice the software will not do it for you. I found out this all the hard way and had to upgrade my software to do any real work.

Select your text and go to effects/contour. When the design central-outline box opens, select outline in the dropdown. Set the width to however big you want, offset to zero, copies to 1, and miter limit changes how sharp or round the corners are. Make sure the outline is a different color from the text and hit cut/plot. When production manager opens make sure that send all colors is not selected. Now you should be good to cut text in one color and outline in another.

Tina

Thanks you guys! Your input helped a lot. I just went into the LXI (I have the Master +) and found the outline function and played with it for a bit. Now I'll try it on paper before I waste any of my vinyl. Thanks again to all that responded.

Do any of you know what I'm talking about with the stick figure family decals on cars? Can you make your own desings on Corel Draw or what would be the better software to try and do that on? Told you I was a newbie- still wet behind the ears as they say, but I'm trying!

Tina

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Tina said:
Thanks you guys! Your input helped a lot. I just went into the LXI (I have the Master +) and found the outline function and played with it for a bit. Now I'll try it on paper before I waste any of my vinyl. Thanks again to all that responded.

Do any of you know what I'm talking about with the stick figure family decals on cars? Can you make your own desings on Corel Draw or what would be the better software to try and do that on? Told you I was a newbie- still wet behind the ears as they say, but I'm trying!

Tina

Your LXI Master + is probably a better choice ... once you learn its workings.

uneedasign

Here is a job I just finished on a dump truck frame using Krylon paint for the fades. Sorry, it was a cloudy day, not the best pics.

psd1.jpg

psd2.jpg

psd3.jpg