• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Grainnny Eco-Solvent on lighter color

MiguelGonzalez

Can i completely remove grainny dots in a lighter color print of eco solvent, dark color is pretty smooth it could be better tho. I've seen many youtubers and other print shop owner showing their prints which has no grain in it, even in the lighter color. All the supplier/installer including mine in my area can barely make the printer print, so no point of contacting them regarding quality.

FrankW

No. Printers generate lighter colors by setting less dots in wider distance.

There are some possibilities to optimize, but nothing to avoid it:

Some printers use smaller dots on lighter colors. So they can print more dots in closer distance without loosing the light appearance. This is named „variable drop size“.

Some printers use light inks, so they can print lighter tones with more density.

Some RIPs could switch between different types of dithering. They use for example „rougher“ dithering methods to improve ripping speed on bigger prints (where grainyness dont matter because of the viewing distance), while offering to use smoother dithering optional.

Some printers have overall bigger droplets than others. Latex 300 has 12 picoliter drops (non variable), older Roland SP300 has a minimum of around 7 Picoliter drops (variable), current epsons around 3,5 Picoliter.

Sometimes settings for the ICC-profile could lead to grainyness too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your questions and inquiries lately indicate to me, you don't have a clue as to what you're doing. This is why so many of us preach about working somewhere before you jump into the game and learn some things about the trade. Your choice of equipment, software and total lack of knowledge is really beyond fixing on a forum or by utube. Might I suggest, going to work for a reputable sign shop and learning about the industry ?? If none are available, what on earth made you decide to buy this equipment and jump in head first ??

netsol

Premium Subscriber
we were just talking about you (in a good way!)
i was trying to remember what flatbed you have

MiguelGonzalez

Your questions and inquiries lately indicate to me, you don't have a clue as to what you're doing. This is why so many of us preach about working somewhere before you jump into the game and learn some things about the trade. Your choice of equipment, software and total lack of knowledge is really beyond fixing on a forum or by utube. Might I suggest, going to work for a reputable sign shop and learning about the industry ?? If none are available, what on earth made you decide to buy this equipment and j

Your questions and inquiries lately indicate to me, you don't have a clue as to what you're doing. This is why so many of us preach about working somewhere before you jump into the game and learn some things about the trade. Your choice of equipment, software and total lack of knowledge is really beyond fixing on a forum or by utube. Might I suggest, going to work for a reputable sign shop and learning about the industry ?? If none are available, what on earth made you decide to buy this equipment and jump in head first ??
Thank you for the advice. I've worked more than 7 years but, there is not much to learn from all the print shop in the state i live (I am from india). I've seen many wrong things they did like laminating before ink outgassed and using the same profile for differnt materials and more.They dont really care about quality or improvement, and i can only learn these through the internet. I really want to start my own business, but only with a proper knowledge. This is why i asked all these newbie basic questions.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It depends a LOT on what printer, vinyl, and ink you are using. Some printers are always going to be grainier (latex), and some printers that use more than CMYK inks will make it harder to see the droplets. Quality cast vinyl will also take ink much smoother than economy vinyl. Then, you have to deal with issues like banding on print passes with the RIP and printer/media configurations. Heck, even the art files them selves could cause graininess if they're set up incorrectly.

All things can be sorted out and great quality prints can be achieved, you have to know what the end product is and what your customer's and your own expectations are along with the limitations of your own machines/process.