• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greetings from Cape Breton Island, Canada. New to the industry.

Mr.Ry

Hello everyone, and thanks for the acceptance to the community. I'm a new business owner and brand new to the sign making industry, and hoping to be able to learn what I need to be able to produce commercial signage as a service through my business, despite not having much direct experience (though a fair bit of relevant experience).

I hope I'm not the hated sort around here based on that, so I'll provide a quick rundown of my background to hopefully validate my existence here:

I'm 43 years old. Lived in Toronto, ON Canada for the entirety of my life until July 2023, which was when I had relocated to a rural area in west Cape Breton Island, NS, Canada. I had several varying careers in Toronto working as an IT technician, a field technician for a major telecom (ie, a "cable guy"), and as a unionized construction laborer. I learned a lot of different skills from working in such contrasting industries, but also learned that the reward for proficiency and hard work was often further expectation and exploitation with very little real progression. I moved out to Cape Breton the intention of breaking away from the grind that was killing me in the big city and to start up my own business with my savings, though I was not quite certain what that business would be.

The choice was originally between doing IT consulting/computer repair services or starting up a 3D print farm (that being a major interest of mine at the time), neither of which seemed all that likely to be successful in a rural area. I had learned that shortly prior to my arrival a local print shop had closed down, leaving not much by the way of local printing services for a huge region, and thought that would be a great opportunity to incorporate digital media printing services along with the 3D printing service, and also add laser engraving, vinyl cutting, and even sublimation to cover a wide range of different print mediums. I am currently operating out of my home until I find the success to justify expanding into a dedicated facility. I am the only resident in a 6-bedroom home, and therefore was able to repurpose almost the entire upstairs of the house into various work areas. With that said, though, I'm obviously not able to operate as a full fledged print shop due to size limitations alone, but I'm going to try to cover as much as I possibly can for small run orders and hopefully find a trade printer to outsource larger jobs to.

I've invested in the following equipment:
-Printers: Canon ImagePROGRAF TC-20 (entry level wide format inkjet), Canon PIXMA G620 for photo prints, Epson SC-F170 for sublimation prints. Do not have any full-sized presses yet.
-3D printers: BambuLab X1C and P1S
-Laser cutters: OMTech Polar 350 CO2 laser cutter, OMGLaser 60W MOPA fiber laser
-Vinyl cutter: Vevor 53" cutter/plotter with optical eye
-Various offline finishing equipment: heavy duty 24" guillotine paper cutter, corner punch, 30" cold press laminator, heat press, creaser/perforator machine, etc

I registered my business in March, 2024, however I've been taking things slowly with marketing as I've been setting things up and making my own website. I just announced my business was opened about a month ago. I've already had a couple of inquiries come in regarding signage, so I've been working on making some estimates, but have still yet to work on an actual order. I've got lots of questions, so I'll be heading over to the Newbie Forum to ask there, but wanted to make my introduction here first.

Cheers!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Welcome from Winnipeg! Sounds like you've got a nice collection of equipment to start experimenting with.

Ask away - you'll find most members helpful with even the simplest questions as long as you put some effort into it, which you obviously have with your intro.

Best of luck with your new venture.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Welcome fellow Canadian! I'm an ex-Torontonian living in the Caribbean for the past 20 years. Presently semi-retired having closed our commercial print and sign shop earlier this year. Now working from my home shop/office making signs and outsourcing print.

Mr.Ry

Welcome fellow Canadian! I'm an ex-Torontonian living in the Caribbean for the past 20 years. Presently semi-retired having closed our commercial print and sign shop earlier this year. Now working from my home shop/office making signs and outsourcing print.

Man, that sounds like the dream that every Torontonian born person could ever want! I'm sure the reality of living there is probably quite different than the expectation, but still, congrats for any and all enjoyment making that move has brought you. Even I count my blessings to have made my escape to where I am, which is a beautiful place in it's own right... at least 6-8 months out of each year.

Got any tips on outsourcing print? Any suggestions on how one goes about locating a "trade printer"? Is it crucial to find someplace that is relatively local to not have shipping expenses cut into your margins, or do you go out of province/state/country?

@everyone else: Thanks for the warm welcome!

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Man, that sounds like the dream that every Torontonian born person could ever want! I'm sure the reality of living there is probably quite different than the expectation, but still, congrats for any and all enjoyment making that move has brought you. Even I count my blessings to have made my escape to where I am, which is a beautiful place in it's own right... at least 6-8 months out of each year.

Got any tips on outsourcing print? Any suggestions on how one goes about locating a "trade printer"? Is it crucial to find someplace that is relatively local to not have shipping expenses cut into your margins, or do you go out of province/state/country?

@everyone else: Thanks for the warm welcome!
We've been huge DFS dealers for a long time and we really enjoy working with them, so I definitely recommend them as a trade printer. They are in Canada with a plant in Midland, ON so no worries there. www.dfsonline.ca We also use Navitor.com and Ennis.com and then a slew of smaller printers I've come to know over the years. But, I'd say 80% of our outsource volume comes from DFS.

bigben

Not a newbie
Welcome from Montreal. I've also started from my home over a decade ago. I've bought a house in a rural region and had large enough space to build a shop (we don't have walk-in). Not having to commute to work is a very plus.

Mr.Ry

We've been huge DFS dealers for a long time and we really enjoy working with them, so I definitely recommend them as a trade printer. They are in Canada with a plant in Midland, ON so no worries there. www.dfsonline.ca We also use Navitor.com and Ennis.com and then a slew of smaller printers I've come to know over the years. But, I'd say 80% of our outsource volume comes from DFS.

Much appreciated. Registered with DFS as a reseller. Thanks.

Not sure if this is an appropriate question to ask in the open, but when outsourcing jobs how much markup do you add? Do you essentially just charge whatever the going market rate is, and therefore whatever wholesale discount is being received ends up being your markup? Or do you just add an arbitrary percentage and call it a day? Feel free to DM me the response if you don't feel like announcing this info but don't mind sharing in private.

Welcome from Montreal. I've also started from my home over a decade ago. I've bought a house in a rural region and had large enough space to build a shop (we don't have walk-in). Not having to commute to work is a very plus.

Thanks for the welcome, and that's awesome to hear from someone having success in a situation close to mine. Mind sharing details of what sort of jobs you do, what equipment you run, etc? Got a website or any pictures that shows off how you've set yourself up?

It is my intention to not really have walk-ins myself, however I had a couple show up on my doorstop one day. Felt awkward not bringing them inside, so I did, but I admittedly had not cleaned up neither my living space or the work space from the last job I worked on, and so I think bringing them in may have caused more harm than good since they never went ahead with the order we discussed. Ahh well.