• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greys printing pink

SIGN.DIVISION

So I have a Roland VS540. I replaced the printhead in OCT 2020.

All of a sudden grays started printing pink.
My dampers haven’t been changed in over a year, I just changed them (my first time ever) - I’m still having the same issue, but also now I’m getting some banding that won’t fix with a calibration. Could my head be bad?

I’ve attached photos of what the print looks like and then what it looked like when I went back two weeks later and printed the rest of the job.

If anyone needs any additional info, let me now and I can supply it.

Attachments

• 37C6E23C-7365-42F5-B5A8-63E5BD61733C.jpeg
    37C6E23C-7365-42F5-B5A8-63E5BD61733C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 293
  • 52A44512-2FEA-47D6-88BB-8665892FB9F0.jpeg
    52A44512-2FEA-47D6-88BB-8665892FB9F0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • 848DF270-BDBB-462D-84DA-6B7E71949A99.jpeg
    848DF270-BDBB-462D-84DA-6B7E71949A99.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 136

SIGN.DIVISION

So I used a syringe and sucked out any air. Still printing bad. It’s was printed fine before I changed the dampers, besides grays printing pink. I did a choke clean and multiple heavy cleans. Was a supposed one to do something I didn’t when change the dampers.. this was my first attempt. Head was replaced when I bought it in Oct 2020.

Attached is the print test before the change and after. I’m not sure how to red these, but looking online it seems there’s a lot missing. Can someone please help.

Attachments

• 8F065218-8B2F-4C45-BA86-C83E670B072C.jpeg
    8F065218-8B2F-4C45-BA86-C83E670B072C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116

netsol

IT'S POSSIBLE that when you put the damper on the light cyan printhead you cracked the manifold nipple.
this would keep ink from pulling through the head.

IF that is the case, you will need to order a solvent compatable manifold & replace it

SIGN.DIVISION

I put a light in there today and all looked good. I’ll check tomorrow when I ge to the shop again and send a photo.

I was very gentle when putting back together

SIGN.DIVISION

Tech is trying to sell me on a bad head. Do you think that is possible? I bought the printer on Oct 2020 and had a new OEM head installed then

He’s coming out next Friday

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I could be wrong, but as far as I know, since this is a 1 head machine, it's all built in and you can't replace the manifold in it. As a last ditch effort, you can try a 48 hour head soak and see if that gives any improvement.

Printer101

When roland starts printing gray as pink your head is dead . Sorry . Recently went through same . Tried everything. Spend hours "fixing it ". All fixes were temporary. All was for nothing eventually had to replace print head and I wish did it from the beginning. And didn't waste anytime .

netsol

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, since this is a 1 head machine, it's all built in and you can't replace the manifold in it. As a last ditch effort, you can try a 48 hour head soak and see if that gives any improvement.

there is one sitting on my desk, at the shop, right now

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier

there is one sitting on my desk, at the shop, right now
See, I said I could be wrong, didn't think you could take that head apart without ruining it. Glad I know that for the future. Thanks.

netsol

Tech is trying to sell me on a bad head. Do you think that is possible? I bought the printer on Oct 2020 and had a new OEM head installed then

He’s coming out next Friday
keep in mind, the tech doesn't change manifolds, probably
he would rather sell you a $700 head, if there is a crack in the manifold
i would rather throw $12 at the problem

that being said, it could be a ad head, but, whatwas the TRIGGER EVENT that killed the head?

netsol

if necessary, go to ebay "ask seller a question" give your model number
MOST ebay power sellers are very responsive

autoexebat

When roland starts printing gray as pink your head is dead . Sorry . Recently went through same . Tried everything. Spend hours "fixing it ". All fixes were temporary. All was for nothing eventually had to replace print head and I wish did it from the beginning. And didn't waste anytime .
Totally agree , I know as I have replaced 2 print heads because of this same exact issue.

netsol

since you replaced the printhead in oct 2020, HOPEFULLY, you still have the old head in a cabinet, or somewhere? swap manifolds with te old head. (we do it all the time)

SIGN.DIVISION

Hey guys, so the tech came out and replaced the head, (old one was definitely bad) dampers, captop and ribbons. Got my Lc back!.. but the nozzle test was a bit funky. He’s messed around for a couple more hours $$$ and got it printing perfect Friday evening. I printed about 50”x120” of nested graphics and it looked great, then I noticed some banding, so I did a manual cleaning, still banding. Tan a nozzle test and it looked funky, did a couple power cleans and it got a little better, but still bad. Now he wants to come back out and change the choke valve. What do you think?? I’m already 2 weeks behind and I already paid him extra to fix the issue. I attached the photo of the nozzle test. The bottom one is the first one. Please let me know what you guys think.
8185A43E-1026-481C-865A-BD65CCB5FE18.jpeg