• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grimco buys Advantage Sign & Graphic Solutions/Advantage Sign Supply

Billct2

The problem is a lot of the bigger suppliers with an "online" sales model is they often don't deliver on their own trucks, so shipping oversized items can get expensive. They also tend to carry only the most popular and profitable products. That's why I try to give as much business as I can to my "local" full line sign suppliers.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We have used Advantage for years and this is like a death in the family. We will be using GSG (Cincinnati) from now on. They are also a family owned business out of Dallas. They carry everything that Advantage had including equipment.

Gans is also a family owned business since 1950, we also have a location in Texas if you're looking for some sources. GSG is a great company also but thought I would mention us as well.

TomK

I haven't been in this industry long, only 4 years or so, and I've had nothing but great service and pricing from my Grimco rep. I get orders next morning via their delivery service, and if something isn't in stock it takes 2 or 3 days with no additional FedEx or UPS charges.

If I find a better price elsewhere, my rep will price match or beat that price. If I need samples, I've never had a problem getting them. And out of 100's of orders, I think I had 2 issues with damaged rolls showing up, which they replaced for free in a timely manner.

Just wanted to put in my two cents, so far nothing but great service and pricing from Grimco, for me anyhow.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
when Grimco bought Alumapanel, they tossed everyone out and we in Alabama lost the best source for aluminum that we have ever had. There was absolutely no sense in them buying them out and dismantling that whole complex. Someone obviously is on a mission to be the "walmart" of sign goods

Not everywhere.... they kept most of the staff at the SC Alumapanel location.

Aside from that a lot of this is just like FedEx / UPS is terrible comments and threads. The bad experiences are very much a regional or local branch problem. At our last location UPS was terrible and FedEx was awesome. Where we are at now it is just the opposite. We used to use Sign Supply USA a LOT who was one day gobbled up by Proveer who we still used because they kept the same folks we knew, who was one day gobbled up by Grimco who we now use because they still had kept some of those same folks. We also used Alumapanel and now at least a few of those folks are now at Grimco. Prior to Grimco buying Sign Supply USA we had really never used Grimco much at all.

They are now close to us (1 day delivery on things in stock locally). They have always bent over backwards to help us out on oddball requests and have given us some very aggressive pricing on materials.

Again though - I think it very much depends on your local branch and sales rep.

From a business standpoint my thoughts have always been a business is pretty much one of three things.
1 - goal is to stay small and own it forever
2 - goal is to grow huge and conquer all your competition and buy them out when you can or put them out of business
3 - goal is to grow till you get #'2 attention and get a fantastic offer to sell out (that very much does happen too) and then you move on and start something else

It is what it is. I agree that at some point a business can become too big to the point of becoming an unfair monopoly though. That is the point where the government might intervene.... I agree that more competition the better for the customer....

shellyky

well guys, i was getting my kraft paper for laminating from Advantage (opti-koat 30#) and now, obviously i need some and they are out of business ... was this a house brand? i cant find it anywhere on google, and this grimco place only sells a 50# variety...we had great luck w/ the optikoat and are we SOL now?

tbullo

Superunknown
I don't know about the (opti-koat 30#) , but I have aways used the kraft paper from Grimco. I did have to send one back for being smashed in the middle.

TDFcustomSL

well guys, i was getting my kraft paper for laminating from Advantage (opti-koat 30#) and now, obviously i need some and they are out of business ... was this a house brand? i cant find it anywhere on google, and this grimco place only sells a 50# variety...we had great luck w/ the optikoat and are we SOL now?
Yes, the Optima line was their House Brand and I miss it, especially the pricing on it...

jfiscus

Rap Master
Hopefully they get their stocking/shipping figured out soon. Advantage always had common materials stocked, but ever since the merger started what used to only take overnight to get here is taking around a week to get here.

toomeycustoms

Hopefully they get their stocking/shipping figured out soon. Advantage always had common materials stocked, but ever since the merger started what used to only take overnight to get here is taking around a week to get here.

I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. We have the same issue. Our advantage branch would stock rolls of Oracal 631 and we would be able to have it next day. Now it is a drop ship item and takes a week. My Grimco rep says they aren't stocking anything new until at least after the New Year because of the merger.

JERHEMI

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with the Grimco Chicago branch! When I was starting out and wanted to get into the business, after a little research I stumbled upon an open house at Grimco. I came home with my first plotter and Signlab software and the rest is history. 14 years later Grimco is still my #1 supplier. Everything just works with them. There free next day courier service is invaluable. There website nowadays to purchase materials and supplies is so convenient and easy to use. I like not having to call them on the phone for every order anymore. The only time I have to email them directly or call them is when I have an issue or have a custom order. When I do have an issue, they have always gone above and beyond to make it right and they have every single time. I have purchased a piece of equipment before from Advantage Chicago and I was never really satisfied with them. There salesman that sold it to me was absolutely wonderful and he went above and beyond to make sure everything went smoothly throughout the entire process, but once his job was done and he was out of the picture, my experience with Advantage became very lackluster. There website left a lot to be desired as far as ordering materials and wasn't in the same league as Grimco's site. Also you never knew if what you needed was going to be in stock, which a lot of the times it wasn't. They didn't have a courier service. There technical support was just ok. Whenever you called you never knew who you were going to get and their expertise level. I started making notes who was the most technical savvy and make sure I got their email address for all future technical support issues. There main tech guy named Casey knew his stuff! But, he left a year or so ago and I don't know where he went and they wouldn't tell me. Moral of the story is, Advantage seemed to be in the Minor League and Grimco is in first place in the Major League!

MHester

I too am sad that Advantage is gone. Now that Grimco took over, every order I place there's something wrong with it one way or another. What I miss the most is their house brand Opti-koat 5 mil textured laminate. Has anyone found a replacement for that? It had the perfect texture and I liked the paper liner vs. the clear plastic liner that GF Concept 109 offers (which is what Grimco recommends) Ugh :(

TDFcustomSL

I too am sad that Advantage is gone. Now that Grimco took over, every order I place there's something wrong with it one way or another. What I miss the most is their house brand Opti-koat 5 mil textured laminate. Has anyone found a replacement for that? It had the perfect texture and I liked the paper liner vs. the clear plastic liner that GF Concept 109 offers (which is what Grimco recommends) Ugh :(
Talk to BigFish, he may be able to get the textured laminate for you. I know the Optima Vinyl and Laminate I was using was RitRama material so if that textured stuff was too, Josh might be able to help you out, or at least maybe steer you in the right direction.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Talk to BigFish, he may be able to get the textured laminate for you. I know the Optima Vinyl and Laminate I was using was RitRama material so if that textured stuff was too, Josh might be able to help you out, or at least maybe steer you in the right direction.

This is a true statement, I can get my hands on quite a bit of materials so please don't hesitate having me find something for you. I do have Ritrama as well.