• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grumpy Jenkins Font Type

EbsWeb5150

Can any of you guys help me out.
A customer whats this Grumpy's Toy script font duplicated.
I thought it was the font Kreem or BeanSprout but the G and the O's are not correct attached is the pic

Attachments

• GrumpyDoor.jpg
    GrumpyDoor.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 217

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The script is not a type face, it's hand painted. And not particularly well at that.

SignosaurusRex

The script is not a type face, it's hand painted. And not particularly well at that.

:doh: Yep, There was a guy around here for a number of years many years ago that did one hell of a lot of hand cut vinyl for truck doors that looked just like that............probably the same guy:rolleyes:

OldPaint

it WAS HAND PAINTED....no plotters available in the late 60's!!!!!!
as for the ORIGINAL 67-69, having wing windows, yea they did, BUT racers removed the real windows, and wing window, to save weight..........and replaced all of the window with plexi.

onesource

That looks like Dom Casual under his name, do you think he saved it that long?
it WAS HAND PAINTED....no plotters available in the late 60's!!!!!!
as for the ORIGINAL 67-69, having wing windows, yea they did, BUT racers removed the real windows, and wing window, to save weight..........and replaced all of the window with plexi.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
That looks like Dom Casual under his name, do you think he saved it that long?

The look of the application suggests that everything except the mediocre hand painted script was applied one character at a time, ala mail box letters.

artsnletters

it is pad printed
correct as we're looking at a small die cast model, which some hack most likely did the artwork to be similar to the real thing. Do you want to replicate the crappy scanned artwork on a scale model OR the actual hand painted & gold leafed ORIGINAL Grumpy's Toy Camaro??? If you want the latter dig deeper on the internet search.
Tim

Vinylman

Can any of you guys help me out.
A customer whats this Grumpy's Toy script font duplicated.
I thought it was the font Kreem or BeanSprout but the G and the O's are not correct attached is the pic

The car you show here is a SCALE MODEL REPLICA Bills' 1969 Camaro that was campaigned during the 1969-1970 S/S, and Pro Stock season.

"Grump’s ‘69 Camaro had several incarnations. The original setup was a Super Stock/C racer and used an all-aluminum 427 ZL-1 engine. Pro Stock was about a year away but match racing was all the rage. It didn’t take long before the Camaro grew a tunnel-ram manifold with two 4-bbl carbs, and an air-box scoop for match racing.

Jenkins best victory with the car was at the ‘69 Super Stock Nationals where he won the first heads-up Super Stock Enduro Eliminator title. Bill match raced and competed in national Pro Stock races with the car in ‘70 and ‘71."

As a side note the photo you where provided is of a MODEL CAR, NOT the original car as Mr. Jenkins raced it. there are "few" photos available of the original car. So the lettering you are attempting to replicate {as bob pointed out} was hand lettered, which was almost always the case back in the "pre-vinyl" era.

Many of us that raced professionally, and also as hobbiests, hired local sign people to do the lettering on our cars.

It was only early in the 1970's that sponsorships and big money deals afforded those of us that survived the "racing wars" for sponsorship the ability to start having "decals" custom created so that in nthe event of a crash, or fire the car could be restored to "original" quickly to make the next performance.

I had the priviledge to race against "the Grump" a number of times, {and though I go my A@# kicked every time} it is fondly remembered.

"Those WHERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND, WE THOUGHT THEY WOULD NEVER END...."