• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help GS15 Plus - Cutting Ragged

SigSignsMT

Hey Guys,

GS15 Plus Cutter isn't cutting cleanly; it has a brand new blade in; I lubed and cleaned bars up. Don't know what else to do.

Photo of what the vinyl looks like is here: https://imgur.com/a/iIVK1zz
iIVK1zz

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Jburns

No I mean left facing or right facing in the holder. When in the home position the blade sharp end should be facing a certain way. But you can do another sample cut and watch it closely if it cutting proper direction

Also I agree with Fred above

SigSignsMT

The blade in there is a swivel blade; so I think it is running in the right orientation.

I did check the belt; cleaned the inside, nothing seems to be wrong with it. How much tension should there be? Can they get stretched out?

Played with it a bit more last night; I put an older blade in the machine and now it cuts straight without the ragged lines. Not sure what is up with this new blade? These are both swivel blades.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Double check your blade to make sure it has the proper offset ground into it. I bought some really nice blades made by Roetguen for my Gerber GSx and the 42 degree blades are absolutely pristine.

The 60 degree blades had no offset and were not able to swivel. If I remember correctly, the point was flush with one side of the cutter. It seems as though they missed a step in the production process by not grinding the third face on the blade (to establish the correct offset).

The bad blades basically produced the same results as you show.

JB

Last edited:

SigSignsMT

Double check your blade to make sure it has the proper offset ground into it. I bought some really nice blades made by Roetguen for my Gerber GSx and the 42 degree blades are absolutely pristine.

The 60 degree blades had no offset and were not able to swivel. If I remember correctly, the point was flush with one side of the cutter. It seems as though they missed a step in the production process by not grinding the third face on the blade (to establish the correct offset).

The bad blades basically produced the same results as you show.

JB

How do you check for proper offset ground; and if it's bad, how do you fix it?

Marlene

Do you still have the old blade? Try putting that back and seeing if the same thing happens. Have you figured it out yet?

FunkotronXL

Couple quick questions:
Have you compared the old blade to the new and checked for differences? (noticeably longer/shorter, different manufacturers, etc.)
What force/pressure setting do you have the dial on the plotter head set to?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
How do you check for proper offset ground; and if it's bad, how do you fix it?

Accurate measurement of blade offset requires a special machine called an optical comparator. It's a machine that creates an enlarged shadow of the blade so it can be precisely measured. Incorrectly ground blades can only be fixed by the manufacturer since it requires a precise grinder with a diamond grinding wheel.

But typically the time involved correcting a mis-ground plotter blade is considerably more that the cost of a new carbide blank and it's usually best to start from scratch.

I looked at the photo of your blade again and the flank (side) of the blade seems to have an extremely rough surface. That would make a huge difference. Flanks should have a mirror finish.

JB

SigSignsMT

Do you still have the old blade? Try putting that back and seeing if the same thing happens. Have you figured it out yet?
Hey Marlene,

Yes I have thrown in other blades and they seem to clear up the issue. I am thinking it is just this new blade and the manufacturer made a goof somewhere.

SigSignsMT

Couple quick questions:
Have you compared the old blade to the new and checked for differences? (noticeably longer/shorter, different manufacturers, etc.)
What force/pressure setting do you have the dial on the plotter head set to?

As far as I can tell the blade seems no different then the others. The more down pressure the more rugged it cuts; less pressure and it doesn't cut all the way through and just scratches the surface. There doesn't seem to be middle ground with this blade.