• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS6000 - Logo Length Not Matching

Jgentry

Hi guys

I printed a 97" circle (logo) on my GS6000 on 54" IJ180. Colorburst printed the left half (seam edge to the right) then the right half (seam edge to the left) of the logo with a 1/2" overlap. One side turned out to be 1/4 inch longer (top to bottom along the seam) than the other. Needless to say installation was a bear trying to stretch the short side to make things match up.

I was using the take up reel. When enough material printed I taped the center to the reel and things seemed to go fine from there.

What can cause this?

Jgentry

The graphic was from illustrator on a full size artboard. It was split automatically in Colorburst. The printer is new and this is the first large seamed print done on it.

sfr table hockey

Any chance that the longer side was the second one printed (right half)?

If so it may have something to do with the takeup reel if your takeup reel has a bit of tension.

astro8

If you need critical matchup as in paneled pieces always use a leader to reach the take up before printing and make sure the media lever is pushed all the way down. I had some problems with panels lining up at first but since using a leader no problems at all.

Jgentry

If you need critical matchup as in paneled pieces always use a leader to reach the take up before printing and make sure the media lever is pushed all the way down. I had some problems with panels lining up at first but since using a leader no problems at all.

That really adds alot of waste when using expensive media like ij180. I like the suggestion to fully engage the lever. That makes sense. Just not sure why letting it print down to the take up would be a problem, but if you say it will help of course I will try.

Do you think it could be the roll feed adjustment left/right being off?

astro8

No you don't waste your expensive vinyl, you use a leader from scrap or have one on a core that you take up to the vinyl. Letting it print down to the take up means it has no tension from the front so your print length is far more likely to be different.

It's not just the epson, I've used this method on every printer I've had.

90% of stuff you don't worry about, it's just when you have panels that you need to be precise.

You should get a level, a square and tape measure and square everything up. Measure from the platen to the take up and adjust until everything is set up square and true.

Do you have the updated version of the media holder? If not get onto Epson.

Letterbox Mike

For what it's worth, we have this issue quite often with our GS6000 and so far haven't found a reason for it, or a fix. I'm leaning toward the printer, not the RIP. We run Onyx. I can print a multi-tiled job on the Epson and have panels be off from one to another by as much as an inch, the same job from Onyx (same RIP computer) to our Mimaki with no problems. It has happened with the takeup reel and without which leads me to believe it's either electronic or the feed compensation likes to do whatever the hell it wants (I'm leaning towards the latter).

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the GS6000 is NOT all it's cracked up to be. I bought one against my better judgement and have been kicking myself ever since.

Bly

This won't help the OP but Onyx has a scale adjustment in the rip.
When creating a profile you print a set length, measure it then enter the actual length and it will compensate to error.
Before we started doing this long prints (3 metres plus) were sometimes 10 or 15 mm out.