• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GSx Plus Owners - Where does this wire go?

GoodPeopleFlags

I've posted a couple of threads recently about having trouble getting my old GSx Plus and my new Omega software to talk. It's not the plotter and it's not the computer so it's something in between. My guy was taking the cable off and found this loose wire and we're not sure where it goes. Will one of you GSx Plus owners please look at your machine and tell me where it goes? We thought it might be a ground and go on the screw that I have circled at the top but we tried that and are still getting the communication error. Also tried 3 COM ports and a USB port with no luck.

Attachments

• GerberPlotterWires.jpg
    GerberPlotterWires.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 199

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You are correct that it is a ground wire and should be attached where you've indicated. What version of Omega are you running and on what version of the Windows OS?

GoodPeopleFlags

I have brand new Omega 5 running on Windows 7, 32 bit with a Gerber Edge 1 and Gerber GSX15Plus, both with original cables. I installed Omega and was able to print to the Edge, no problems at all. Went to cut and immediately got the communications error. First we made sure all of the connections were secure. It was installed on COM 1 so we tried COMs 2, 3 & 4, no luck. Even tried a serial to USB, no luck. We thought it might be the port itself so we installed Omega on a different computer also running Windows 7, 32 bit and got the same error. Any suggestions? I do know that the plotter was being used with Flexi about a month ago so it would be weird for the cable (or anything about it) crap out all of a sudden like that. Is there a way to test the cable? If it is the cable, do I have to buy a Gerber one or is it available off the shelf?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I doubt that it's the cable. I would, if you decide to replace the plotter cable, stick with the Gerber cable to avoid confusion. The most likely cause of the problem is related to either the Omega 5 install or your port setup in Windows.

Am I correct that your computer has an LPT printer port and multiple serial COMM ports? Can you post screen shots for your GSP Tray > Gerber Installed Devices and another one for GSP Tray > Install Plotter / Router.

GoodPeopleFlags

Hey Fred! I know it's been a couple of months since your offer to help but some other things had to take priority for awhile. Now I'm back to trying to figure this out. Any suggestions that you or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated.

You are correct - I have a LPT port that the Edge is plugged in to and it works great. I have 2 COM ports and have tried both and still get the communications error. Here are the screenshots you wanted to see. I am at a total loss here.

Attachments

• GSP-Tray-Screenshots.jpg
    GSP-Tray-Screenshots.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 149

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hey Fred! I know it's been a couple of months since your offer to help but some other things had to take priority for awhile. Now I'm back to trying to figure this out. Any suggestions that you or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated.

You are correct - I have a LPT port that the Edge is plugged in to and it works great. I have 2 COM ports and have tried both and still get the communications error. Here are the screenshots you wanted to see. I am at a total loss here.

Only a couple of basic comments ...

I would suggest that it would be a "best practice" to only install the plotter on one port and remove any other instances on different ports.

Here's a couple of pics of my Gerber supplied serial cable for you to make sure you aren't using a printer cable by mistake.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If you still can't get communication going, invest in a Gerber serial cable available from The Plotter Doctor for $64.00.

attachment.php

Please post back if any suggestions fix your problem or if you figure it out on your own.

Attachments

• 9 Pin Comm.jpg
    9 Pin Comm.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 25 Pin Comm.jpg
    25 Pin Comm.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Gerber_Communica_4df242d6c7201.jpg
    Gerber_Communica_4df242d6c7201.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 250

GoodPeopleFlags

Thank you so much, Fred, for taking the time to help me. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. I'll check it out and let you know.

:notworthy:

GoodPeopleFlags

My cable has all of the pins just like in your pics but it there aren't any markings on the cable indicating if it's a Gerber cable or not. I might as well go ahead get one and give it a shot. I'm totally out of other ideas! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! :)

Jase

I would agree with Fred, the Gerber cable we have has three pins for the parrallel port, hope that helps?

Jason

GoodPeopleFlags

Good news, everyone! (Said in Professor Farnsworth's voice ;) It was the cable! I assumed I had a Gerber cable but apparently not. Finally got my Edge up and running again. Thanks so much, Fred, and everyone else who took the time to help. You guys rock!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Good news, everyone! (Said in Professor Farnsworth's voice ;) It was the cable! I assumed I had a Gerber cable but apparently not. Finally got my Edge up and running again. Thanks so much, Fred, and everyone else who took the time to help. You guys rock!

Glad to hear it worked out. Thanks for the feedback.