• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GSx Plus stopping

karl p

I've recently bought a new laptop with Vista on it, i previously had XP

Reinstalling Omega 2.6 went perfect but installing my USB to Serial didnt as my CD for it wasnt Vista compatible...luckly i found a driver from the website i bought it to make it vista compatible, now at this point i thought i was home free when everything was finally done, so i went about cutting a job out and this is where the problems begin.....half way through the job it just stopped working so i went in to GQMgr tab at the bottom and for somereason it had set to cut the job twice, so i went about doing it again form the start, set it to cut then i thought id go straight in to the GQMgr screen straight away and it had set to cut 4 times this time so i terminated the 3 jobs after the first one but didnt help!!

Now I've been through all my settings on both my old XP laptop and my new Vista Laptop everything seems to be exactly the same, USB to Serial Port is set at (com4) which it should be, I've even just basically unplugged everything out of my Vista laptop to plug everything back in to my old XP laptop and it cuts fine with my old system I just dont know where im going wrong or wondering if there's something simple i have missed but its driving me crazy at the minute, any help or suggestions would be helpfull

Karl

Bob Gilliland

Two quick things, neither of which may solve the issue.

• First – ensure that the Sentinel Driver is configured properly (only the USB port set to "yes") and that the proper driver is in fact loaded for your OS (unsure what that currently is at the moment).
  • Second – ensure that the USB ports are always powered. Certain “power” mode settings will shutter those ports and can cause various issues.

Again, your issue may or may not be related to the above two mentions.

karl p

Hi there, thank you for your feedback, the sentinel driver is correct, your second comment is whats been going through my mind since i've changed Laptops, after it went wrong the first time i went to the shop i bought my original USB lead from to buy a new one thats compitable luckly i knew the boss there and he simply said install the vista driver from their website instead of paying out another £20 for a new lead, If nothing else works im going to have to try buy a new USB lead

Your 2nd idea crossed my mind the other day so i just unplugged it from my hub as it isnt powered and plugged straight in to the usb port in my laptop and it did exactly the same thing

Thanks for your advice

Tony Teveris

If you are using the same cable and same DRIVER on the Vista setup then I'm not sure whats up.

If you are using a different driver then it could be the driver. Many USB to Serial drivers do NOT support all the driver functions that Windows allows software developers to use. We have found one function missing from may driver, if it is the problem you are seeing is what happens.

I have a list (not many) solutions that work at work. Was hoping others would pipe in and tell us what they are using and their system setups.

karl p

I'm starting to wonder if the driver is different as i had to download it from the shops website i bought it from, as the original cd i got with the lead wasnt Vista compatible, Think i'm just going to buy a new lead with vista compatable cd installion and see where that takes me, if it doesnt cure the problem then i'm completely clueless as what to do as every other option i can think of i've more than double checked