• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

gsx15+ and usb to serial problem.

ok, i had to upgrade to a new computer and it came with windows 7. i have omega 2.1 software running an edge fx and gsx15+ plotter

the new computer did not come with a serial port so i bought a serial to usb cable. i got the edgefx up and running, but the plotter does not like the cable(i think). it will cut the first time, maybe two times and then nothing, it brings up the message terminate or restart. its setup correctly and i am using a virtual xp mode to run(due to the 2.1 only running on xp software).

so, does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do to make the plotter work?

i know i can upgrade to 4.0, get a gerber recommended usb to serial cable, but your looking at well over $600 for that!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Double check your baud rate. It's possible that the output of data is over running the capacity of the plotter. If that is the case, keep slowing it down until your plotter can keep up.

Another option would be to drop in a serial card. You can get one for around $30.00.

JB

Tony Teveris

Its the cable, I'm almost 100% sure of it.

Cables Unlimited is out of biz (last time I looked) you might find

Cables Unlimited – USB 2.0 to RS232 Serial Adapter (USB-2920)
Cables Unlimited – USB to DUAL DB9 Serial Cable – USB 1.1 (USB-2925)
Cables Unlimited – USB to DUAL DB9 Serial Cable – USB 2.0 (USB-2926)

this is another
Quatech SSU2-100

But not sure they will work with 2.1 - I would go the Serial I/O Interface card route.

thanks guys....the new computer is a compact one, never seen one so small...the "standard" serial port that slips into a pci slot will be to big where the metal plate attaches to the back. it also have a newer type of pci slot...seems to be slightly longer than others and has 1 long slot and then a small slot.......