• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Halo-Lit Letter Faces?

2B

Looking for a source that carries the attached type of Halo-lit channel letter faces.

Thank you

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC023491.jpg
    DSC023491.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC023501.jpg
    DSC023501.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC023531.jpg
    DSC023531.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Just helping with the verbiage:

Those faces are off "front-lit" or "internally illuminated" channel letters.

"Back-lit" channel letters have acrylic/polycarbonate backs and are typically referred to as "halo-lit", "reverse-lit" or "back-lit".

If the faces and backs are acrylic/polycarbonate, they're typically referred to as "dual-lit" channel letters.

If you get rubbings of the letters, any electrical (and some non-electrical) sign shop can make those.

J Hill Designs

its just acrylic with trimcap material. easy to make your self. 'pop' the old trimcap off, use the existing letter as a template, cut new acrylic, decorate, then put new trimcap on (using weldon thin first, and then a bead of thick)

2B

Just helping with the verbiage:

Those faces are off "front-lit" or "internally illuminated" channel letters.

"Back-lit" channel letters have acrylic/polycarbonate backs and are typically referred to as "halo-lit", "reverse-lit" or "back-lit".

If the faces and backs are acrylic/polycarbonate, they're typically referred to as "dual-lit" channel letters.

If you get rubbings of the letters, any electrical (and some non-electrical) sign shop can make those.

Thank you for the proper terms, and now to try and remember the differences

its just acrylic with trimcap material. easy to make your self. 'pop' the old trimcap off, use the existing letter as a template, cut new acrylic, decorate, then put new trimcap on (using weldon thin first, and then a bead of thick)

the trim cap is what is throwing us, you are correct the letters and vinyl are easy to produce

J Hill Designs

the trim cap is what is throwing us, letters and vinyl are easy to produce

well, an o would be just about the easiest letter to practice with. work off of the roll of trimcap (ie dont try to cut to size)

As you set it along the acrylic, making sure that the acrylic stays inside the 'foot' of the trimcap, use nails to hold it in place (some places use steel tables and heavy duty magnets)

once its all held together, use thin weldon along the seam. let it sit for an hour or so, and then apply a bead of the thick weldon

edit: this is all done 'upside down' ie not on the face

edit 2:
[video=youtube;_8E17N2HtLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8E17N2HtLY[/video]

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe what he means is, with the 1/2" white all around the trim areas, at night from a distance, it will create a halo effect all on it's own.

It would have this kinda effect on ya.

attachment.php

Not a true halo as we now know it, but something similar.

Attachments

• add639f64fed23c04c262a02ce81d253.jpg
    add639f64fed23c04c262a02ce81d253.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:

kgirl

I have to throw in my own two cents.... :wink:

[video=youtube;_3aartAEJ4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3aartAEJ4c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

TXFB.INS

why did you change the title to halo-lit? what you show is a regular channel letter face

I'm assuming because Moze pointed out this is a Halo-Lit and changed it to reflect the terminology.

to the OP, how old are those letters and what direction does that face?

J Hill Designs

to the OP (and txfb....): this is what halo lit letters look like

edit: @kgirl you may be saving a bit of money with 3/4" trimcap, but you are lowering the lifespan of your letters - way more susceptible to breakage during service.

Attachments

• gandolfos-halo-lit-channel-letter-sign.jpg
    gandolfos-halo-lit-channel-letter-sign.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 262

2B

Thank you for the input.

I was hoping there were "stock" lettering with trim-cap already installed do to the customers time-frame.

for the name change, I was trying to be more specific to cut out confusion.
Like Moze pointed out there are several terms and its best to use the correct term.

@ Gino yes that is the effect these letters do

@ TXFB.INS the letters are 8+ years and face due east

J Hill Designs

ok these are 'front lit' letters

no one will be stocking an O in that exact size or design

you gotta make a new one.

simple as that.

kgirl

to the OP (and txfb....): this is what halo lit letters look like

edit: @kgirl you may be saving a bit of money with 3/4" trimcap, but you are lowering the lifespan of your letters - way more susceptible to breakage during service.

I'm sorry you get breakage and lower life span using Plasco trim why?

kgirl

Ohhh....you misunderstood.....the mechanical clearance of 3/4" Plasco is the same as 1" jewelite....so if the intent to use 1" jewelite is for more surface area you can do the same with 3/4" Plasco. At the same time you will spend less and it is easier to work with on small letters....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Plasco vs Jewelite LRG 2.jpg
    Plasco vs Jewelite LRG 2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 284