• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone ever heard of broken glass vinyl?

vinylink0331

Hey, just wondering about some vinyl that i have to get for a race car. He described it as broken glass. He said that was what it was called but we cant find it. The closest thing that we can find is the shards vinyl.

ManningSigns

The broken glass that I know of is just lines cut in the vinyl to make it look like broken glass. Very common on racecar numbers.

vinylink0331

Yeah i showed him a bunch of different samples of holographic film, but he said it was something else, he has chosen an alternate film, just in case I cant find that one.

ManningSigns

here is a quick effect done. Just lines over the number at different random angles then cut out. Not sure if this is what they are looking for but I have heard this called the glass break effect by racers.

Attachments

• glass break effect.jpg
    glass break effect.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 84
there is a line of vinyl that is being offerered to architects and some designers that i have just been made aware of that has some effects that i have not seen offered in teh sign industry...it has a glue chipped glass as well as some other effects i've never seen offered. i will put a call into the architect that brought it to my attention and post a link in a few JIll beat me to it....that is the same company. they sent us some samples and pricing and it is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE so make sure you get pricing before quoting

blackicefx

holy crap, batman!

That crap is expensive! Beautiful effects but for that price?? That's not even cut for designs/lettering. $15/ft average is very pricey.

Matthew
BlackIceFX

animenick65

Gotta say, some of those are very beautiful. Would love to get a 50yd roll and just see what I can do in an office space or spa.

upon asking we did discover that they will give a trade discount if you are buying full rolls. we ordered a few rolls for a project and it was discounted heavily but still expensive...

rcook99

You might find something on this link:
http://www.decorativefilm.com/index.html
Someone posted it on L'ville last week when someone else was looking for glue-chipped looking vinyl.
Love....Jill

Nice find Jillbeans

upon asking we did discover that they will give a trade discount if you are buying full rolls. we ordered a few rolls for a project and it was discounted heavily but still expensive...

Yes Dan it is expensive, but have them price out the job done in actual sand blasted or etched glass. Once they get that price they may not have any problem with the what you are charging. To give you an idea I had to purchases 1/2in x 30in x 72in tempered glass for a job that was just made to be cloudy or obscured cost $500.00 per sheet before installation. If they had a special look like the vinyl offered I am sure it would be substantially more expensive.