• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Hating UPS this morning

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Important client of ours and shipped out a Step and Repeat banner to Nashville for them Next day air...well, it hasn't moved from the local hub. Event schedule is unsure as of now BUT its supposed to be at the university by 10:30 am local time. This always happens with them...a long tube, sits at the oversize sort table...and is forgotten about.
My driver is a great guy and takes care of us...but the people at the center are SH*T HEADS. Had to ship UPS on my clients account. Always gives me that sick feeling in my stomach coming in to an email asking if the banner actually shipped.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have the same issue too with receiving large banners via tube on FedEx. Seems like when its gets over 7 or 8' they get stuck in Memphis for an extra day.

Billct2

It seems to be an issue with the particular hub it goes through...some places are always early or on time and others always get screwed up.

Reveal1

Not to make excuses for UPS, but I imagine the pandemic has greatly strained their capacity with the increase in web ordering. Also it seems to be random regionally or locally. Can't think of a single instance that we have had inbound ship delays from our suppliers (mostly in Midwest cities), although we still get the emails that they may happen.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Both our UPS and FedEx rep spoke to us in the last couple of weeks letting us know that all bets are off. FedEx has hired around a quarter of a million people recently to improve capacity. The growth they projected over the next 3-5 years all happened this year.

They are struggling to stay caught up. Packages will be late, even express ones. Try to build in as much time as you can for delays - especially as we move into the holiday season starting right now...

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
This is an ongoing issue with oversize packages. They go to a different sorting area specifically and it seems that they 99% of the time get left there overnight. I worked for UPS so many moons ago as a young'n. Just freaking sucks and makes me sick. Like we need more stress and angst in our day.

mnchstr2k

Both our UPS and FedEx rep spoke to us in the last couple of weeks letting us know that all bets are off. FedEx has hired around a quarter of a million people recently to improve capacity. The growth they projected over the next 3-5 years all happened this year.

They are struggling to stay caught up. Packages will be late, even express ones. Try to build in as much time as you can for delays - especially as we move into the holiday season starting right now...
I've had to chase our FedEx driver down a couple of times, they drive right past us. Once I was home eating lunch and they pulled up across the street in a rented box truck, I ran over and told him he had my package and it was supposed to be delivered two days ago, took him three minutes to dig thru the pile of boxes on the floor. Other times they put "business closed" in the tracking without even stopping here.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Heres the update: Of course they now "FOUND" the banner at my local center last night...and sent it out to Nashville for delivery today. They attempted delivery this morning around 7:30 Before the loading dock was open/available to accept deliveries. They will now re-attempt tomorrow. Client already said its useless at this point they had it printed out there somewhere in a pinch. Just shoot me...lol.

stxrmxn

Heres the update: Of course they now "FOUND" the banner at my local center last night...and sent it out to Nashville for delivery today. They attempted delivery this morning around 7:30 Before the loading dock was open/available to accept deliveries. They will now re-attempt tomorrow. Client already said its useless at this point they had it printed out there somewhere in a pinch. Just shoot me...lol.
Always like how they magae to get it "printed localy" at short notice

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Always like how they magae to get it "printed localy" at short notice

"Locally" as in where the event is in Nashville I have to assume. I had it all set up to print it again and ship out again yesterday for today delivery. Oh well. Life will go on.

DPD

I've had problems like this in the past where I'm waiting for the package. I would call the company and a replacement would be sent. You can trace it but ups will tell you the trace takes a week. Only once has the product ever been delivered. If this is time critical you may want to send another. Hope ups comes through for you.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I always send the tracking number to the client when I ship something. Then they know it has been sent and know what is going on. I have lots of installs that are 2 or 3 hours away and always request tracking for the same reasons.

They have all gotten worse because of COVID. Lots of people are working from home and ordering all kinds of stuff. Talked with many drivers and they say it's as bad as Christmas. Bet Amazon is printing money.

signage

Where i live Amazon make most of their own deliveries, so UPS and FEDEX using that for an excuse is ridiculous.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I used to see those Amazon sprinter vans in our neighborhood...now they have graduated to step trucks the same size as FedEx and UPS. They come numerous times a day and last week, TWO of them were delivering on our street at the same time.