• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have you ever?

I have media markers. I made them with .060 HIPS about 6" x 2", with foam core or ultra board sticks. The markers sit in the appropriate media roll. When a roll is in the printer so I have a 38" banner core sitting between our two roll to roll printers, and the markers go in there when the media is loaded in the printer.
I've got the same system with laminate.
I sharpie mark the inside the core, put T-shaped coroplast labels on top the core (on most). I've got not dukes, so no excuse but absentmindedness from rushing, rushing, rushing.

RabidOne

I have media markers. I made them with .060 HIPS about 6" x 2", with foam core or ultra board sticks. The markers sit in the appropriate media roll. When a roll is in the printer so I have a 38" banner core sitting between our two roll to roll printers, and the markers go in there when the media is loaded in the printer.
I've got the same system with laminate.
Same. We cap all material with the plastic base they ship in, but labeled with the specific material. Not a lot of mistakes happening that way!

I don't think that the 8150 has the same conformability that the 180 does, so it will probably pop back up around rivets on the truck. It also doesn't have any UV inhibitors, so you are going to need to use real laminate. If you've just taken off the laminator, your options are to go ahead and double-laminate the print with actual laminate (and risk it popping/separating over rivets, or trash it and re-print.

We have accidentally laminated prints with the wrong laminate finish and then just double-laminated with the correct finish laminate in the past with no issues.

Keep your print medias away from your laminate medias!
Ain't that the truth, I've kept them separate for all these years but recently was vetoed on that. :rolleyes:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yeah, but then when you're locked and loaded, ripped to the gills and ready to print, how do you double check what is in the printer without unloading it? Talk about a buzz kill!
Pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20220404_162104__01.jpg
    IMG_20220404_162104__01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20220404_085630__01.jpg
    IMG_20220404_085630__01.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yeah, but then when you're locked and loaded, ripped to the gills and ready to print, how do you double check what is in the printer without unloading it? Talk about a buzz kill!
Ya look before you load it numbnuts. Are you supposed to look at the 5 tags sitting on the table that the peons forgot to put back in the cores to figure it out? As Johnny says, c'mon man.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Ya look before you load it numbnuts. Are you supposed to look at the 5 tags sitting on the table that the peons forgot to put back in the cores to figure it out? As Johnny says, c'mon man.
You are supposed to have a tag holder on the printer that only holds one tag at a time. Makes people remember to do that.

Boudica

hahaha... just now, I came "this close" to laminating a wrap for a promaster 3500 (they are huge) with Arlon 3420 Gloss. aaack. I caught it in time, and swapped the laminate out for the 8519. Close call. That would have been really bad.

Aleck283

I printed and laminated a full truck wrap on ij35 accidentally instead of 1105. Received a roll of 35 that had no markings on the backer, so i assumed it was the 1105 which always has a blank backer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ever die-cut some vinyl and forget to tell the printer to only cut and it'll print the color, overtop of the colored vinyl and then cut it out ?? Really good on black.

Boudica

Ever die-cut some vinyl and forget to tell the printer to only cut and it'll print the color, overtop of the colored vinyl and then cut it out ?? Really good on black.
No. is that a thing?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No. is that a thing?
Okay, like this. You type out a word, say 'for sale'. On your layout, you make it red, cause it's gonna be red on the sign. You now send it to your rip. You do all the stuff and where it says, print & cut..... print only or cut only, you forget to click on 'cut only'. You load the red vinyl in and it prints out the red words first and goes back and cuts it out. Ya just wasted a step. I've done that. Not often, but it happens.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Okay, like this. You type out a word, say 'for sale'. On your layout, you make it red, cause it's gonna be red on the sign. You now send it to your rip. You do all the stuff and where it says, print & cut..... print only or cut only, you forget to click on 'cut only'. You load the red vinyl in and it prints out the red words first and goes back and cuts it out. Ya just wasted a step. I've done that. Not often, but it happens.
I clear the fill so I don't do that because it happens. I have loaded laminated decals back in to cut and printed over them more than once. That's annoying.

Boudica

oh, I see. it hasn't happened to me - I typically cut colored vinyl on stand-alone plotters, not the printer/plotter. I thought you meant it was a print-cut, but you cut it first, then print it - which sounds weird.