• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have you seen GIMP

Craig Sjoquist

yup it's loaded on PC

1st heard and used at library

found a book on it at borders

it's becoming more popular with people

have not cut with it yet... does not have a cutter yet

Rodi

only problem is, can you convert to CMYK? I think for general purposes Inkscape and Gimp are good and cheap. Most pros won't use freebies, because they think there is some fatal flaw in them, which I disagree with. I think if more pros used Gimp they would make it where more professional upgrades would be involved. Remember, graphic arts are very conservative and adoption to new and better does not always happen.

cptcorn

adad
I've been using the Gimp (the GNU Image Manipulation Program) since before the 1.0 release. I started messing around with Linux around the same 96/97 time frame. Yay RedHat 3! I think my first distro was actually a Slackware install... I just remember it being a pain. I do remember the long ass time it took to compile the code to run gimp, on my awesome 486dx4 100mhz beast with 8mb of RAM... Wooo!

I must say it has improved drastically since those days. I do prefer Adobe products over the Gimp in regards to functionality, however, there aren't a lot of standard things you can do in Photoshop, that you can't do in the Gimp, if any...

ChiknNutz

Yep, have played with it some...enough to see that it is a pretty capable program, but not enough to say what's wrong with it (if anything).

Temujin

I've used GIMP quite a bit. What I like is GimPhoto. It's an add-on for GIMP to make it more like the Photoshop interface. If you're use to PS then it makes using GiMP a much easier transistion. There is also GIMPShop, which does the same thing, but GimPhoto seems to work better. My brother can't even run GIMPShop on his computer, but GimPhoto runs like a pro.

http://www.gimphoto.com/