• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question have you seen this sign ??

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
I found this photo several months ago on the net - I just thought it was so cool.
and now, I would like to make one like it, with carving HDU. but, I would like
to have permission from the owner if I could use it as a pattern but make some
subtle changes to the design. (I want to make a 3ft x 3ft Covid project for myself).
also - I would like to know if it is photo-shopped, CNC or actually hand made.
any help would be appreciated. (is there any way to tell if it is CopyRight protected ?).

John

Attachments

• shop sign 01.png
    shop sign 01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 574
Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
That's a work of art! Where did you find the image?

If you're just doing it for personal use/practice I'm sure it's fine to use it as inspiration.

John_Smith

White - that is what struck me initially ~ a work of art !!
excellent design and layout, nicely balanced.
I forget where I saw it - just somewhere on the net. (before Covid hit).
I have a 3x3 foot replica made now with hand carved HDU graphics.
some changes to make it personal to me, but basically the same look.
I would like to credit the author if/when I ever show my project with "Inspired by XXXXXX".
I have spent a good amount of time retracing my steps in the art world
and can not seem to find anything close to it by anyone.
I can not tell if it is a PhotoShop, CNC, SketchUp, or actually hand carved project.
my rendition is totally hand carved - I just copied his/her example and resized it
to print with tile in an art program and glued all the (20) pages together.
I lost my 36" and 24" plotters with the Age of Time and being retired, I really
don't want to get back into that aspect as a "hobbyist".
I will continue my quest - and I will post it to my album when it is done.

John

John_Smith

wow - THANK YOU Jim !!
I will contact them this afternoon.
I never thought about Google Image - that's an excellent tip also.
now that I open the memory bank, I remember the "plastics" portion of how I found the photo.
will post any pertinent updates as they occur.

John

John_Smith

okay - here is the history on this magnificent piece:
Jasper Plastics said this carved sign was a "one off" project over 20 years ago.
it was "probably" rough carved on the CNC then "probably" fine tuned by hand.
they no longer have the mold - and no record of who ordered the casting to be made.
they also have no idea of how big it could have been.
so I will continue on with my project and the step-by-step journey in my album.
I already have a few examples there now if anyone wants to take a peek.
and thanks again, Jimbo.
carved letters 02.JPG

carved letters 03.JPG
carved letters 01.JPG

Last edited:

John_Smith

having been in contact with Jasper Plastics, I am trying to understand what happened here.
I have made "patterns" before out of HDU to be reproduced by the hundreds in the molding process.
it is expensive for the startup: the molder must fabricate a box for the sign, pour the rubber compound
over the original, then make multiple copies for the customer. this is not a cheap process for just one copy.
the only reason I can think of is that the customer made the original out of non-outdoor material.
i.e.: balsa wood, modeling clay, basswood, etc just for the pattern. and was probably thinking he could
sell the resin replicas to sign shops and other crafts people. (thus no company name on it).
or - it was big enough to display outside his shop and did not think to use HDU for the project.
anyway, the customer has dropped off the edge of the Earth. I will finish and display the project
that was "inspired" by this young fellow and hopefully he/she contacts me so I can give the appropriate
credit as deserved.
here is an expanded view of the craftsman's attention to detail.
Texture.png

and here is a little bit of the project I am doing:

Carved Sign 045.JPG

Carved Sign 049.JPG

This is it - there will be no more updates here:
when the project is totally finished, it will be in one of my albums.
thank you one and all for your kind words.

John

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Evidently, your avatar is a much younger..... you, huh ??

Nice work so far. Had a guy working for me, back in the 80;s that could do this work. He was amazing, just like you.

JWitkowski

having been in contact with Jasper Plastics, I am trying to understand what happened here.
I have made "patterns" before out of HDU to be reproduced by the hundreds in the molding process.
it is expensive for the startup: the molder must fabricate a box for the sign, pour the rubber compound
over the original, then make multiple copies for the customer. this is not a cheap process for just one copy.
the only reason I can think of is that the customer made the original out of non-outdoor material.
i.e.: balsa wood, modeling clay, basswood, etc just for the pattern. and was probably thinking he could
sell the resin replicas to sign shops and other crafts people. (thus no company name on it).
or - it was big enough to display outside his shop and did not think to use HDU for the project.
anyway, the customer has dropped off the edge of the Earth. I will finish and display the project
that was "inspired" by this young fellow and hopefully he/she contacts me so I can give the appropriate
credit as deserved.
here is an expanded view of the craftsman's attention to detail.
View attachment 150287

and here is a little bit of the project I am doing:

View attachment 150288

View attachment 150289

This is it - there will be no more updates here:
when the project is totally finished, it will be in one of my albums.
thank you one and all for your kind words.

John

Excellent project! You have inspired me to tackle a hand-carved sign for myself. I'm newly retired from other things but looking to do more signwork of a very niche sort of way.

geb

Agree, very inspiring work. Thanks for sharing your process and the pictures.

George