• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

having a few problems with flexi and a hs15 plus

davedavedave

hi
im going crazy over here... im a total noob and i almost finished setting up my system the last two days...
got the edge running perfectly without problem over wifie... everythign is runnign like i want it, only the cutter is making problems!!! after two days i need some help LOL

my gerber h15 plus came with a parralell to ps2 cable + a keyspan (usa 28x b) 2x ps2 to usb adapter...
when i connect the cutter with this cable + the adapter to my computer i can see the keyspan adapter inside the windows device manager but it is listed as unknown device... but i cant see the gerber cutter!

in side flexi production manger when i try to add a new cutter i cant find a connection i tried all com ports all lpt ports and so on.... shouldnt it show me a usb connection from the keyspan adapter? like it did with the gerber edge?

by the way: whats the difference between selecting the hs15plus hp gl and normal hs15 plus?
i tried both none of them worked....
always get the message "cant open connection"
i personally think the problem is the KEYSPAN ps2 to usb adapter...

if i use a normal usb to ps2 adapter instead of this old fancy keyspan adapter would it work?
thought about something like this
https://www.ebay.de/itm/USB-auf-PS2...se-gruen-USB-Combo-Maus-Tastatur/254638578878

i hope somebody can help me
thx in advance

Last edited:

davedavedave

the cable combo should work, it worked for the owner before me...
but yes i thinkn it is the adapter...this "keyspan" adapter is a weird piece of hardware...
i couldnt find any driver for it...
after googling a few hours i came to the conclusion the adapter is only for MAC!

i would use a serial cable but i only have a very small itx build... there is no more room for a pcie serial port...

also i managed to get the stuff running over wifi with a network server....this server only has usb...

i ordered the same usb cable all the gerber suppliers are selling ,this cable should be ok since its official...heres the amazon link (its only 12bucks instead of 70!)
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00QUZY4UG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AXZ3JQ1GVFPIF&psc=1
this is the other one i ordered (can be i need to try a few different manufactures of this cable)
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007OWUJHG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

BTW if anybody is interessted in the wifi network server...
this network server acts like the usb port is directly on ur computer!
no need for tcp ip settings...
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0064SGGSM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Last edited:

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i believe you did not load the driver for the usb serial adapter
if you have the driver, you will
hi
im going crazy over here... im a total noob and i almost finished setting up my system the last two days...
got the edge running perfectly without problem over wifie... everythign is runnign like i want it, only the cutter is making problems!!! after two days i need some help LOL

my gerber h15 plus came with a parralell to ps2 cable + a keyspan (usa 28x b) 2x ps2 to usb adapter...
when i connect the cutter with this cable + the adapter to my computer i can see the keyspan adapter inside the windows device manager but it is listed as unknown device... but i cant see the gerber cutter!

in side flexi production manger when i try to add a new cutter i cant find a connection i tried all com ports all lpt ports and so on.... shouldnt it show me a usb connection from the keyspan adapter? like it did with the gerber edge?

by the way: whats the difference between selecting the hs15plus hp gl and normal hs15 plus?
i tried both none of them worked....
always get the message "cant open connection"
i personally think the problem is the KEYSPAN ps2 to usb adapter...

if i use a normal usb to ps2 adapter instead of this old fancy keyspan adapter would it work?
thought about something like this
https://www.ebay.de/itm/USB-auf-PS2...se-gruen-USB-Combo-Maus-Tastatur/254638578878

i hope somebody can help me
thx in advance

dave

the issue is that, although the usb ed of your adapter is plug and play, you have to load the correct driver BEFORE plugging in the adapter. after it displays as the correct serial device, you need to manuslly match the settings of the adapter to the settongs of the plotter

before doing any of this, you need to go into the bios and disable any serial devices shown on motherboard. these are legacy devices, even if thevports are not physically present, resources are reserved, keeping your serial port from working

the default values are

9600 baud,
no parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit
xon /xoff flow control

you need to get onto device manager, go to properties for your properly displayed serial device and be sure these settings match

if you want, email me at asimko@netsolnj.com and i will try to help you through all this

it will work, but serial settings are snything but forgiving

davedavedave

hi ok i will keep this in mind when i get the new cables...

i couldnt find any driver fro the adapter i have, i searched a whole day LOL
i think this keyspan adapter is made for mac only... owner before me had a mac...

Last edited:

highrolling24

The gerber edge and plotters are real picky on what cables and how you load the drivers. Only a handful of cables work with the usb to serial or parallel what ever it takes. I just went through this recently trying to get a friends system that I gave him going. I do have a driver but I hooked it up to Omega software. If Netsol is unable to get you up and going then hit me up and I might have a couple ideas to help out. I feel I need to give back to the site because I used so much valuable info from this site from great people on this site. I still use my gerber edge and plotter some but now I just got a new VG2 540 (bad timing I know but it was something that I was working on getting for 2 years and it just so happened to work out in the middle of this pandemic and now I lost my 2 big accounts that were supposed to keep me going) anyway hit me up if you still have problems.
I just want to give a huge Thank You to everyone on this site that has given valuable info, it has helped me a lot and saved my butt a bunch of times.
Brian

davedavedave

the edge cable is working without problems so far... even over wifi :D
the plotter cable and keyspan adapter are the ones wich make problems... basically i think its the adapter only...

i already ordered new cables (see above)
the usb calbe, is the same like the gerber distributors sell on their site, but alot cheaper, this should work i think...

i will get my cables in 1-2 days i will post a update..
if its working out this will problably help a few ppl to get the right cable :D:D

if i cant get it to run i will contact you
thx for all the help for now

Ready

Ready To Go
what are u talking about? i already got the edge running... also im 100percent sure flexisign supports both or else they wouldnt be listed inside flexi... i got a subscribtion its the newest one...

I'm not familiar with the HS product, however I believe that Gerber does not use a traditional pin out on that plotter, and that may be your problem. I had to get the pin out from a Gerber tech in order to have a rather long serial cable made for my GSx Plus.
Check on it... this may help... no guarantees however.

Gerber GS-15 Plus Plotter Pin Out… for Serial Cable

Here is the pinout for the cable. The cable is a 25 pin on one side a 9 pin on the other. Not all the pins are used

25 9

----------------

2 2

3 3

7 5

4-6

7-8

Bob P
Clearwater, Fl

davedavedave

thx for all the help, got the two cables from the links today...
adapter usb cable worked like a charm,
plug and play no driver installation needed on win 10....
automatically gave me the com3 port....

after setting up the connection in flex i managed to get it going... i was waiting for it to start like a idiot first LOL
but since the computer is in the other room i forgot to press OK after the pop up in production manager pops wich tells u to adjust the cutter...

had no knife and vinyl inside but it looked like its working :D:D its moving around....
is it normal they are so loud :D:D

im so glad i got everything working over wifi!
probably will have to ask a few more questions about the handling and usage of flexi in the future since this is all new for me...
allot of try and error... but i think this is the best way to learn...

thx again for all the help guys!
without this forum i wouldnt know nothing about the stuff !!!
i got all informations from here!!!

PS i just saw inside the win device manager , i can only see the adapter (com port) not the plotter itself? is this normal?

davedavedave

ok next problem LOL... when sending the job to the cutter i dont know what it is cutting? its making weird movements LOL the cutline looks like a little child draw something...

i treid it with both devices inside flexi device manager....
i tried it with hs 15 plus and hs 15 plus hp gl

is there some settings i need to make ??

Jburns

try and make sure baud rates match - there should be a stock rate for the cutter hardware- it should match the COM port, and you may have to adjust in Flexi. - so three places

edit: Also older serial devices dont have the larger memory like newer cutters. So true serial ports regulate the flow to devices. So that is what the X on X off is related to- Ready to send / Ready to receive commands.

davedavedave

thanks, i double checked the settings of the comport in the device manager and in flexi... they are identical... same as it says in the hs15 manual....
i also reinstalled the COM PORT driver ... is it normal i cant see the cutter inside the device manager in windows??

here is a pic of what my cut looks like...

this is what it should look

i already tried everything possible i dont know what to do next ...

can it be that one of the two cables is not working ?
the usb to serial cable is the same like from gerber... its working correctly i think, i can see the com port and the driver is installed correctly...

but can it be the other cable the parallesl db25 to serial db9 is not working correctly? maybe one pin is switched or missing or something? maybe thats also why i cant the plotter it in the windows device manager???

Last edited:

davedavedave

i think i found the solution... inside of the gerber hs15 manual it tells the db25 pin assigments....
after opening the cable up and comparing them with the pin allignment something isnt right at all LOL

also i checked on amazon... i could see some reviews where 2! out of 100 said the same thing.... will order one more cable to try also will try to soler the cable i just opened...