• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having problems printing on Oralite 5600 Reflective

danky01

I have a Roland VersaCamm VS-300 and running OEM inks. I am trying to print a license plate on Oralite 5600 reflective and keep getting random spots. I have printed on 2 different rolls, both different sizes and bought at different times. I though maybe it was caused by oil from my hands so I cleaned the vinyl with alcohol and put on gloves. Still had spots. Anyone have any ideals?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue.

Thanks
Dan

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• reflective1.jpg
    reflective1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 229
  • reflective2.jpg
    reflective2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 203
  • reflective3.jpg
    reflective3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 199

Jackpine

Try wiping the vinyl with a lint free cloth and 91% denatured alcohol. There may be a film on the vinyl causing your problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To be honest, that looks like mostly finger contamination. Whether you're doing it before printing or after. It looks like finger grease.

You really need to clean them better and use, or create a better profile.

DougWestwood

Already laminated?

Hey All,

Since this is reflective material, isn't it already laminated, to cover/hold the glass crystals which reflect light?
I don't know if that will hold an ink print. I have not seen reflective printed, only different colors of reflective material,
cut into lettering, etc.

Above advice is a good try- create/adjust the profile.
I would put down more ink, raise the heat a bit, and put a delay in the head movement between passes.
And yes, some of those pics look like finger marks. There's one that is just a white blot, which seems to indicate a bigger problem.

Please post results for all.
Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

reQ

Plus we use Premium Reflective profile from Versaworks. Gives us beautiful results all the time.

shoresigns

We use a lot of Oracal 5600. Those look like fingerprints to me too. Reflective is expensive, and fingerprints really stand out when you print over them, so we always use gloves to handle it. If you order it by the yard, tell your supplier to make sure their warehouse guys use gloves unless they want to credit you for 2 yards ($60+) every time.

Also make sure you store it upright. Storing this material horizontally with more than a few yards on the roll will be enough weight to cause visible lines from the pressure across the vinyl.

danky01

Thanks everyone for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I agree they look like finger prints and I though that was the problem. I cleaned the vinyl with alcohol and put on gloves but it still happened.

I will try it with the Versaworks profile and see what happens.

I spoke with an Oracal tech yesterday and he thinks the problem is due to the age of the vinyl. It is probably 5 years old or more. He said after a few years something in the vinyl migrates to the surface and causes problems with printing. It looks fine and would work great as a cut vinyl, just can't print on it. He is sending me some to test and see what happens when I try to print on new vinyl.

So you guys might keep that in mind if you have older stock of reflective.

Thanks
Danny

bloobird0

Hello, I had the problem when printing onto Oralite 5300 (not described as printable vinyl but is OK with my Mimaki). It only appears on the first 2 meters of my 50m roll then this problem disappears. I think that the surface of the vinyl is getting altered by time and air.

I don't know if it helps you but could you try printing after few meters of your roll.?