• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

having trouble cutting with S140 T

jaybeeb

Hello, I've learned a lot from this forum, so firstly I'd like to say thanks to everyone.

I'm just starting out and having a little difficulty with our Summa S140 T Series cutter. Everyone says it's so easy, so I must be missing something. I am saving 2 files from Illustrator, 1 with the art and Opos XY Reg Marks. The other is the cut line also with the Opos Reg Marks. I copy them to the PC connected to the cutter.

Should I be able to just load the media, open the cut file in Winplot and click Send to Opos cutter? Because when I do this it cuts on the wrong side of the media. Anybody know what i am missing?

jaybeeb

I managed to get this working!

Anybody printing on a Roland and Cutting on a Summa?

We're doing a lot of stickers, so I'm looking for the best workflow for this. I understand Onyx will not send both the cut-though and contour paths at the same time. Is there any software out there that will accept an EPS, duplicate it, add the Summa marks, print to the Roland, and then send both cut-though and contour paths to the Summa?

Thanks.

LittleSnakey

I managed to get this working!

Anybody printing on a Roland and Cutting on a Summa?

We're doing a lot of stickers, so I'm looking for the best workflow for this. I understand Onyx will not send both the cut-though and contour paths at the same time. Is there any software out there that will accept an EPS, duplicate it, add the Summa marks, print to the Roland, and then send both cut-though and contour paths to the Summa?

hanks.
We print on a roland and cut with a summa. We use Flexi to design and print mostly. Flexi adds the opus marks we send the print job to the printer, then save the cut job as a .plt file to the computer that has the summa connected to it and then use summa cutter control to send the ,plt file from flexi to the summa.

If you use illustrator you will have to make 2 files like you are, send the print file through versaworks and the cut file through winplot. Summa give you a plug in to add the opus marks and send it to winplot for illustrator.

We don't use illustrator very much.

jaybeeb

Thanks for your replies! I'm trying out Onyx right now and it seems to do exactly what I want, even if I have to send the cut job twice.

jaybeeb

Hi again everyone, I still haven't gotten all the issues quite worked out with this cutter. I thought we'd be able to do digital die cutting stickers for our customers, but... it doesn't seem to cut completely smooth all around. Some areas are a little rough.

I expected this cutter would be able to do pretty nice digital die cutting. Was I expecting too much? Anybody have this cutter working really well? We are using a 3mil vinyl and 2.5mil laminate. I'm thinking I might have made a mistake with this cutter, but I hope not!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I doubt it's the cutter. We run ours daily and the cuts are perfectly smooth. The only time I run into things like that is on raster artwork or rough vector artwork with a half a million points along all the edges.

jaybeeb

Thanks guys. That is reassuring that it should work as I expected!

I thought maybe it was the path being too complicated, I even simplified the path.

@SightLine: Do you mean the art is rasterized? Would this really impact the contour cut?

I'm not sure if this is going to make sense to anyone.. but it almost appears as if the sides of the sticker cut nicely, and the top and bottom are the problem areas...

jaybeeb

This is what mine is set at right now:
full pressure 270
full pressure length 10mm
flex cut pressure 180
flex cut pressure length 0.375mm
velocity 50
mode accurate

I also enabled smoothing, but I'm not sure if that is relevant for Flexcut.

jaybeeb

I attached a photo of the problem.. is this normal? It seems like there are points where the blade changes direction and doesn't quite line-up..

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 108

jaybeeb

wow, I just did some half cuts and noticed that it cuts the entire sticker in one go.. whereas the Flexcut would start cutting one sticker, stop, start cutting another, then go back and finish.

... so I turn Flexcut off and change the knife pressure up to 270 and cut them normally and bingo, they are perfect. They also seem to stay in place without using Flexcut...