• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having trouble printing on Styrene? Try Plastiboost!

UVRay

Hey guys, I'm sure a lot of you struggle printing on styrene with UV printers. I could print flat colors all day long but photographs and large gradations really kicked my butt. It was very difficult for me to get the swirl marks out of the printed pieces. It seemed that no matter what I tried I still had way more waste than I wanted.

I spent way to much time wiping and drying my work only to see a light area caused by a swirl mark that I couldn't even see on the media which ruined the piece.

I got ahold of some juice called Plastiboost made by Ink Mill. It works really well, I spray it on my styrene and let it set for 30 seconds or so then wipe it off with dry clean rags then lightly buff with a microfiber cloth. Since I've been using this I've reduced my waste by 75% over previous methods.

You mileage will likely vary but if you've had problems getting nice 4-C off of styrene try this stuff out. I think it's around $50 a gallon whereas Fuji's adhesion promoter is $200 a gallon and doesn't work as good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We don't have a problem printing to it, just keeping it from yellowing in the store is our biggest problems. After a year or so, it starts yellowing really bad.