• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDD Imaging

Lance

Gooday all
I'm looking for ideas and thoughts on disc imaging as in making a total image of one HDD onto another HDD.
I'm thinking along the lines of a backup restoration if needed at any time.
Do any of you ppl use this method and if so, how do you go about it ?
What software do you use or recommend ?

All thoughts gratefully accepted and duly acted upon.

best

lance

:thumb: :Australia

Lance,

There are a few good imaging packages out there. It seems that Symantec's Ghost (we have used with good results), and Acronis have the lead.

Usefulness seems to be a matter of opinion. We have both complete image copies, and backups - depending on the scenario BUT that we also admit that is overkill.

signage

i use Acronis and also do backups. With an image the restore is faster than reinstalling, but also can create a little more work if drive sizes are different. I also think the latest version my take care of this issue. another option would be a raid set up.

JMDigital

I vote for Ghost from Symantec. We used that program years ago when it was dos based to repair pc's or upgrade someones hard drive. It does a good job.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm in with Ghost too.
Just backed up a nearly full 80gig drive to a new one in under an hour & half.
wayne k
guam usa