• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU Sign reinforcing

Westbound31

Hey group. Have a question regarding HDU signs. I'm making my first HDU sign in a few weeks for a church. It'll be 18x36 inches, 1.5 inches thick 15lb HDU mounted to two wood posts in the ground. Would it be recommended to reinforce this sign with a solid material in the back of it or is it okay as is? I've seen people do both but would like to get everyones input especially from people who have a lot of experience with HDU. Thanks in advance!

GB2

Old Member
Is this one sided or two sides carved? Is it going between the posts or on the face of the posts? That size on two posts doesn't really need anything else, 1.5" single sided on the face of the posts is fine or 2" double sided between the posts is fine. Where are you located?

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd at least bridge between the two posts with a 2x4, last thing you want is the posts settling and breaking the sign in half...

Westbound31

Thanks everyone for the replies! The sign is single sided and the posts are existing. I'll probably be asked to replace their other two signs as well which are single sided as well but larger. This is the smallest of the bunch at 18x36 and the existing that I'm replacing is mounted between the posts.

Westbound31

Is this one sided or two sides carved? Is it going between the posts or on the face of the posts? That size on two posts doesn't really need anything else, 1.5" single sided on the face of the posts is fine or 2" double sided between the posts is fine. Where are you located?
Hey Gary. It's a single sided sign which will be mounted between the two posts. Is 1.5 thick enough to mount between posts or should I go with 2"? Also, I'm located on the North Shore of MA

Billct2

If you want to be safe do 1.5" HDU with a backer panel cut from 6mm ACM or a couple aluminum angles.
That will help if anyone tries to grab it. But most wouldn't use anything at that size.

GB2

Old Member
The 6mm ACM is a good choice but you need to be a little cautious when using other materials with HDU, never use MDO. The different materials can expand and contract at different rates and possibly cause the HDU to crack. If it needs additional strength, we will typically build a steel frame inside the sign. Your proposed sign should be fine with nothing and yes, that 1.5" could also go between posts.