• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU Signs

xtreme872

Anyone ever applied 7 year cast or 9 year cast vinyl in raised/text areas to HDU Signs. I was thinking base coat with automotive paint applying vinyl then clearcoating

Billct2

I've used vinyl on HDU that was paired with acrylic poly auto paint. Always worked fine. Never cleared it but no reason why you can't

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have also used cast vinyl on HDU signs. As long as your prep work is good, I see no reason you can't. I haven't ever cleared over the vinyl either.

Bretbyron

Only certain vinyls are paint receptive. I would definitely do a test first. I would also do a "tack coat/drop coat" first. A lite mist of clear, let it set up or "get tacky" then apply a regular coat. If you do it right it will not end in orange peel, it will melt into the second coat and level out. If the edges show shrinking or curling on the drop coat then it is a "no go". If you're in a heated booth wait a little longer to throw the heat on.

xtreme872

I was thinking about basecoating with automotove paint after primer... Then applying Avery 10 year vinyl on raised areas then clearcoating over with automotive clear once dry... I would think this would hold up and last a long time

Billct2

It should. Though I've done vinyl lettering for bikes that has been cleared over a test isn't a bad idea.