• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Light and Tail light Decals

DRD0198

I recieved a pretty cool call today with the oppurtunity to do a monster truck and one of the things was the guy wants headlights and tail lights for the body he has which is an 09 f350 super duty. does anyone have or know where i can find somewhere that i can get a file for these??? of coarse the truck has to be at a show this saturday.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Huh? So the truck doesn't actually have those? They are just vinyl?
... I'd grab them From a vehicle template and then add color and dimension to make it look real. But not by this weekend. Lol.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
What?! I'm really confused now.
Lay your graphic over the scaled vehicle pic, then draw a box over the headlight, bigger than what it is to give plenty of wiggle room. Clip it and there is your headlight, trim when you install. It doesn't have to be the shape or size of the actual light

Boudica

Lay your graphic over the scaled vehicle pic, then draw a box over the headlight, bigger than what it is to give plenty of wiggle room. Clip it and there is your headlight, trim when you install. It doesn't have to be the shape or size of the actual light
And where is the artwork for this graphic? That's what the op is asking... I think.

Jburns

plenty of images on google to crop, mirror and or print

1652839781600.png

Boudica

plenty of images on google to crop, mirror and or print

View attachment 159559
Way better than my idea! Lol, but I was still unsure what the op was asking.

DRD0198

Haha i know there are companies out there that make headlight kits and tailight kits for racecars and projects like these, I do like the google idea if i can get a straight on version i can trace it out pretty close. thanks for the idea

Scotchbrite

No comment
The only trick with the Google image thing is getting the size right. I tried it one time for a racecar and my vinyl taillights were half the size they needed to be. Looked dumb as hell.

fivestarbodies.com is where one of our customers gets his.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Isn't the same question as the template for the cadillac back window? Can you make a template?

We use www.signelements.com We get our templates from there. Every piece of the car can be ungrouped and taken apart. so the tailight should be in there.

Jburns

I would let the customer dictate the size - either height OR width. - since its likely a custom fiberglass body.

DRD0198

I mainly do racecar wraps and when the customer asks about headlights I usually just tell them to go to fivestarbodies or performance bodies to get the kits and then i can install them. BUT this is a monster truck its not everyday you get one of these and its not like there are 1,000 of them with the same bodie style rolling around unlike racecars. i am working on the headlights right now then i will contack the customer for deminsions so they are as close as possible.

Boudica

I mainly do racecar wraps and when the customer asks about headlights I usually just tell them to go to fivestarbodies or performance bodies to get the kits and then i can install them. BUT this is a monster truck its not everyday you get one of these and its not like there are 1,000 of them with the same bodie style rolling around unlike racecars. i am working on the headlights right now then i will contack the customer for deminsions so they are as close as possible.
would you post a picture when your done? I'm fascinated. (because I'm such a newb)

DRD0198

would you post a picture when your done? I'm fascinated. (because I'm such a newb)
absolutely unfortunantly I have only been doing this for 4 years so it may not be right or there is moost likey more efficient way, but that opens the door for suggestions to better myself next time.

Billct2

I also tell them to just purchase them online, cheaper than I can do them. But when I've had to do them for one reason or another I find the closest image I can online and make it work.

decca591

I use impact graphics templates, mine are now from an older version (so if you are working on primarily new vehicles then you need the latest version) but still relevent to what i do, every item on the vehicle can ungrouped and edited separately !

Retro Graphics

I would not rely on online templates being exact though either. I used a few and they all are off by a little. i've found as much as an 1.5" error on a backwindow for a F350, it was 1.5" bigger than the template vertically and 1" smaller than the template horizontally, fortunately I had made the perf print a little large. Make sure you can get a measurement on the actual thing you are putting the vinyl on, or you may be making it twice.