• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head scratcher weeding issue?

upandup

I produce small stickers. After a couple years I have ironed out most bugs, but weeding continues to be unpredictable and painfully frustrating. For a few months - no issues, then it all of the sudden starts weeding horrible. I use a 3m vinyl with Avery 1460 lam with a d60 summa plotter.

I have tested pretty much every setting possible - speed, downforce, offset, overcut, etc. Contrary to all the tips I've read I've found the best luck comes with using a dull blade set with high downforce. It's almost like the increased surface area of the dull blade separates the vinyl and adhesive, but the sharper blade doesn't separate enough.

My production is rapidly increasing and this is becoming a huge issue. I would appreciate any tips or experiences others have had with weeding small items like stickers.

Kottwitz-Graphics

How small are we talking?

Also, I have found that if it's really small, leaving it for a day or two, sometimes some vinyl will separate.

You mentioned that your using avery and a laminate. I assume that it's printed graphics. If not, use a regular high performance vinyl. The laminate is probably the cause of theach issue...

Or you can weed after installation...

gabagoo

If you are talking about square cut or circular decals sometimes they weed better doing it from a different direction...top down, bottom up...lots of variables.

Pete Moss

It would be helpful to see a photo. Stick with whatever works well for you. Make note of absolute everything including temp and humidity. If one variable changes you may have to adjust another.

upandup

Sorry for the delay in responding. To answer a couple of questions - the stickers are an oval shape about 1"x2", so not all that small relatively.

The biggest issue I have is it is sp sporadic and unpredictable. The day after I posted I pulled the blade out to make sure the ball bearings were all there, then reseated the blade. I did another run and everything weeded flawlessly. What could have possibly changed???

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sorry for the delay in responding. To answer a couple of questions - the stickers are an oval shape about 1"x2", so not all that small relatively.

The biggest issue I have is it is sp sporadic and unpredictable. The day after I posted I pulled the blade out to make sure the ball bearings were all there, then reseated the blade. I did another run and everything weeded flawlessly. What could have possibly changed???
Maybe remove the blade and clean the holder to make sure it does not have any stuck bits of vinyl or dirt. Then reinstall with a couple of drops of machine oil or white lithium grease to make sure the blade turns freely.

wayne k
guam usa

jesper

Unreliable and weird cutting results? All settings tested?
You're answering your own question, the settings are not the problem!
What you're left with is either a material, or hardware issue. But I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's not about what brand vinyl or laminate you're running. So according to my analysis, it's a hardware issue, most likely you need to replace your cutting strip. that high downforce you're fond of is quite mean to the strip.
Run your fingers across the length of it, I'm certain you'll find grooves and cuts meaning it's time for a replacement.

BobM

Check the cutting strip, then the blade, then the force. If you are not giving you a consistent good cut the only thing left is the blade holder. The holder must also be cleaned and oiled. Sounds like the blade is not turning freely in the blade holder.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Check your blade with a loupe, it probably needs changed. Ours get "mysteriously damaged" here occasionally, I think a bit of grit gets picked up by static off the floor sometimes and the blade tip gets chipped off. However, if taking the blade holder out and re-seating it "helps" then your machine probably needs lubricated or calibrated.

upandup

Maybe remove the blade and clean the holder to make sure it does not have any stuck bits of vinyl or dirt. Then reinstall with a couple of drops of machine oil or white lithium grease to make sure the blade turns freely.

wayne k
guam usa

Check the cutting strip, then the blade, then the force. If you are not giving you a consistent good cut the only thing left is the blade holder. The holder must also be cleaned and oiled. Sounds like the blade is not turning freely in the blade holder.

I think you're right. With all settings being identical the only thing that seemed to make the difference was removing and resetting the blade. I'll put in some oil as well. Thanks for the tips all!

Ultimate13

We were having similar problems with our Roland and we oiled the holder and it would work for a time then go back to frustration. Eventually we just replaced the blade holder and it has been much more consistent.