• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Strike

bluttr

I have been doing a lot of reading on signs101 about printing and the various printers available. i would really like to purchase an entry level printer.

I don't have the volume of work at this time to justify the cost of a new printer.

I was just curious.. In some of my readings, I have seen the phrase "head strike" quite a bit. I am sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, but what does "head strike" mean?

I am assuming it is a negative thing but I am unclear of what it is.

Brice

mystysue

a head strike is when the print head strikes the media it is printing on.. Say your printing a banner and the banner material buckles up a bit.. when the print head goes past the bottom of it. hits the fabric.. It will leave marks on what your printing.. and many times.. hurt the print head..

Pro Image

Its when the print head strikes the media your printing on..........It can cause all types of problems...............You NEVER want a head strike.................

bluttr

Thank you for the clarification. As the old saying goes, "you learn something new everyday!"
:thankyou:

PS Could anyone recommend a good used printer? I am currently doing signmaking as a hobby in my spare time (it seems as though there is less of that these days) I do 5-10 race cars a year and a few redos on racecars (crash=more work) and a few odds and ends. I would probably be looking in the 36" range printer.