• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Strikes!!!!

heyskull

On our VJ 1604 I have been encountering more and more head strikes.
I have changed material suppliers but I still have problems.
Even knocking the heaters down or off still gives me problems!!
Is their anything I can do or should be looking at?
One of my vinyl suppliers said it was the printers fault as it needed a service!!! I think not!
The machine is in a warm temperature controlled room.

Any help would be appreciated.

SC

formanek

If you are leaving material from the roll in the printer with the hold lever down you need to run out at least 2 foot of material before printing the next time. I had the same issue with wrap material because it had already gone through a heat and cool cycle and when I tried to print the next time the material would wrinkle causing head strikes.

heyskull

I think when the machine was new the vacuum went off as you lifted the lever.
It seems to be on all the time now.
Is their a way of changing the vacuum and when it comes on?
Their seems to be a lot of suction so I reckon it is working OK.

SC

heyskull

The head height is set to high for printing banners and low for self adhesive vinyls.

So if my vacuum is meant to turn off when the lever is lifted how do I reinstate this?

SC

henryp

I do not think having the vacuum on is the reason for the head strikes, the vacuum should actually lessen the chances of them happening. If your media is tracking straight as you stated, the most likely cause would be inferior media. Having a controlled environment for the printer would help, around 24 deg C and 50% humidity would be ideal. Pre-condition your media by storing it in the same room as the printer for 24 hours before printing and see what happens.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'd just run your head in the high position for all materials including the self adhesive vinyl.
I don't think you will see any difference in the output quality.
I ran a few jobs on IJ35 & IJ180c and changed the head height in the middle of the print and could see no change in the output on my 1304.
If you are still getting strikes with the head high then there is a bigger problem in there someplace.

wayne k
guam usa