• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello 3D modelers

AnthonyRalano

Blender is much much better than it was a few years ago. I prefer 3ds Max because I learned it first, but I use both. I look forward to seeing how we will integrate 3d modeling with sign making more and more.

Techman

how does blender compare to 3d max?
In ease of use
learning curve between the two

In ability to render a good product to a file usable in cnc software stl?? 3d DFX?

AnthonyRalano

They both do. Blender has tons of kind support from users. If you do get stuck with a file that needs to be .stl or .dxf you can always use MeshLab too. Its free and great for cleaning up and converting files. As far as being easy to use I would say that most all of the major 3d softwares are about the same once you learn where the move,scale and rotate are located, as well as a few other things such as aligning and grouping objects.
Also, I don't do many channel letters but think that it would be great to do mock-ups in 3d since the text tool is easy to use and doesn't require much time to type out a text, size it, and put a mat on it.

mezalick

Made this for a new restaurant in Las Vegas..."Tacos and Beer"..
Below Cheech and Chong are the beer taps..
Made with Sculptris and Aspire.
4' x 6'

Michael
ww.carvddetails.com

Attachments

• Cheeh and Chong.jpg
    Cheeh and Chong.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 326

WildWestDesigns

how does blender compare to 3d max?
In ease of use
learning curve between the two

In ability to render a good product to a file usable in cnc software stl?? 3d DFX?

Blender has improved leaps and bounds. I just got 2.7 loaded on the computer.

GUI was probably the least kind with trying to get used to Blender, at least for me. But as was already mentioned, they have a very good user support to help you out with most of your troubles.

I don't use it for CNC work, so I can't tell you how it works for exporting those files, but I do think it's a nice all around 3D package for concept work.

4R Graphics

I have moved to Blender myself current version blender 2.70.
I have used 3Ds Max, Maya, C4D, True Space, Solidworks, and a few others always preffered 3Ds Max and Maya the most.
I troed blender years ago didnt care for it then a friend talked me into trying it again version 2.69 and WOW is all I can say.

I have also used sculpting programs such as Zbrush (very cool) However all of this is built into blender now so why spend thousands of dollars on software.

Even some of the bigger names are getting on board with blender with extras and plugins for rendering etc...

I typically use the cycles render engine in blender.

We use the Vectric software as well to generate simple signs and to create the tool paths for the cnc work.

There are alot of tutorials on youtube and vimeo for Blender (andrew price) does mazaing stuff and has tutorials on his site.

There are other places such as cgcookie for tutorials some free and some are pay DVDs.

All in all I hope blender always stays open source as it is an amazing program that should cost Thousands of dollars.

Even my 9 yr old son (who had never seen blender before or worked in any 3D program) was abale to watch some youtube videos (I believe the guys channel is tuts4u) and made some really good looking models of wine glasses and a teddy bear in one afternoon ( of course he was following step by step but still he's 9 years old).

Im a blender fan now.

all over it

3d programs

Hi, I'm wanting to learn to draw in 3d but not sure which program to use. I've been using flexi for about 5 years and enroute for 2 or 3 so I'm fine with 2d stuff. I was kind of hoping there was a program with similar tools and shortcuts to flexi.
I am able to make 3d looking pictures in flexi, but I want to get real and measurements and spin the drawing 360 in all directions. I'm in Australia and use Windows computers if that changes my options

Techman

I just took a Blender course. It was a short one but now I see Blender as a very good package. (FREE)
In fact I booked the instructor to do a module at the Master Mind meet Nov 14-15.

The mouse usage is not the same as mot other software/ However, once one learns the new controls it becomes very fast. Mouse and hot keys make it efficient.

It exports to .stl and imports into Aspire just fine.

Have not attempted an import of stl into Artcam yet.

SignManiac

A hundred years ago, I spent some time learning to use Bryce 3D but was so frustrated with the rendering times that I eventually gave up on it. Never seemed that any computer I was using had enough muscle. I'm sure today thing have probably improved significantly. I've seen some pretty descent SketchUp work done and have it on my computer but just don't have the time to sit down and learn it. Still, it's pretty cool what you can do with the 3D software.

Morph1

Print all
I've been using 3DS max 8, well, since 2008. I'm a sign designer, started out as a sign painter back in the day.
For sign designers, it's becoming a standard feature for larger sign shops. With 3DS max we can digitally build the sign
before production begins. With the software's ability to create realistic lighting, we can see how to light the sign at night as well,
LED, neon and exterior light sources can be worked out before we build. The customers really love it and helps sell the sign.

I taught myself how to use this software by using the trial version, then after 30 days, reformatting my hardrive on a spare PC I had, and
go for another 30 days until I got good at it. I learned most of what I know from great tutorials on line and you tube.
Once I got good at the software and knew what I was doing I made the pitch to may boss, showing him the possibilities
with signs I designed in 3D and how that would sell signs. The fact that I was already proficient with the software and there would be
no learning curve, I could hit the ground running. He was sold, then paid for the software, (very expensive). He's made his money back 10
fold, and now can't imagine how the company could function without it.

If for no other reason, just learning the software yourself would greatly increase your job prospects, not to mention just for the fun of it.

Lol my story is identical as yours... 3ds is my program of choice as well , designed lots of signs and 3d carvings...

Cheers !