• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Central Kentucky

BabyBandit82

Hello my name is Alex (short for Alexandra) and I would like to thank the admins for accepting my request to join. I was actually on this forum about 10 years ago when I worked at a Sign a Rama and found it so helpful.
Now I am independent and just getting started. At the moment I only have a Cricut maker but just got a large job for some storefront windows at 2 locations a truck, van and large trailer. I need to get a affordable 28" machine preferable with a catch basket. All the reviews I have been reading are very mixed. I would like to ask the wonderful folks on here for some recommendations. I am still working out of my house so space is a concern. It needs to have wheels so I can store it somewhere when not in use.

I am also trying to find an affordable supplier for materials. Since I don't have a business license or tax id yet I am having trouble finding one. I am just outside Lexington, KY.

I am also a graphic designer and will be trying to help in any way Io can to questions of that nature.

Thanks, Alex

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I would recommend, for the time being, until it's not practical, you should outsource the printing / cutting portion. It will end up saving you the hassle of using cheaper, less reliable equipment and then once your in the right position, you can buy the correct equipment. There are a few merchant vendors on here I'm sure can help you out.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I always liked Graphtec, my Summa is pretty good. The profits from these jobs will easily pay for the cutter and the small fee they charge you for a Tax ID and LLC. Both take only minutes to set up. I would strongly suggest that you become "legal and legit" asap. Also make sure you are not undercutting your competition as there's nothing worse than someone undercutting that works out of their garage, not really fair to those that have put the time and effort in to be legit. It sounds like you are very capable of having a successful business so make sure you get off on the right foot with the competition, city and future customers.

Many people on here work from home and are very successful, totally do-able!

If Gino sees this he will be asking if you have insurance - what happens if you scratch the truck? Going forward, you will find certain businesses, small and large will require proof of insurnace. Also - will you need a permit to install vinyl on the window? The city typically has this information on their website or you can call. Those are two things you will need to figure out going forward.

Good luck! If you search cutters you will likely find a lot of good info on here!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Welcome from Northern Kentucky! If you're still waiting to get your license/tax completed there is always ebay/amazon or cheetahwraps.com for vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahahahaaaa...... I don't really care if someone is legal or not, not anymore.

My question would be, how'd you land a job for all those components and not have equipment, materials or any knowledge of how to do the job ?? Licenses, permits, insurance and overhead aside....... how did you price this job ?? Will any of this be printed or just die-cut vinyl ?? Do you have ladders, walk planks and other equipment to do these vehicles inside or will you be setting up outside, where all the dirt, bugs and other crap can interfere with producing a professional job ??

BabyBandit82

Hahahahaaaa...... I don't really care if someone is legal or not, not anymore.

My question would be, how'd you land a job for all those components and not have equipment, materials or any knowledge of how to do the job ?? Licenses, permits, insurance and overhead aside....... how did you price this job ?? Will any of this be printed or just die-cut vinyl ?? Do you have ladders, walk planks and other equipment to do these vehicles inside or will you be setting up outside, where all the dirt, bugs and other crap can interfere with producing a professional job ??
Hi Gino,

All good questions. I have worked in a professional sign shop before so I am familiar with the production and installation process. I do have ladders and the client has some scaffolding I can use. Still working on the quote which is one of the reasons I reached out on here. At this time I am only offering die-cut vinyl. Unfortunately due to the size of the vehicles I will have to do them outside at his business. I got this job as a referral from another store front I did in town.

I live in a small city only about 18k residents. That being the case there are only 2 other sign shops in town and he already tried both, neither followed through with even doing the site survey and measurements. He knows the owner of one, they have a drinking problem and are not reliable. The other shop has gotten too big and thinks his job is too small so they didn't even come out. The client is also named Gino funny enough.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I started out with a $300 plotter off ebay. Made tons of $$ off that and only upgraded because I wanted something quiet with a servo motor. I bought a Titan 2 off USCutter for about $800. 6 years later still runs perfect.

BabyBandit82

I always liked Graphtec, my Summa is pretty good. The profits from these jobs will easily pay for the cutter and the small fee they charge you for a Tax ID and LLC. Both take only minutes to set up. I would strongly suggest that you become "legal and legit" asap. Also make sure you are not undercutting your competition as there's nothing worse than someone undercutting that works out of their garage, not really fair to those that have put the time and effort in to be legit. It sounds like you are very capable of having a successful business so make sure you get off on the right foot with the competition, city and future customers.

Many people on here work from home and are very successful, totally do-able!

If Gino sees this he will be asking if you have insurance - what happens if you scratch the truck? Going forward, you will find certain businesses, small and large will require proof of insurnace. Also - will you need a permit to install vinyl on the window? The city typically has this information on their website or you can call. Those are two things you will need to figure out going forward.

Good luck! If you search cutters you will likely find a lot of good info on here!
Hi Stacey,

When I worked in a sign shop we had a Graphtec I just don't have the budget or space for one at my house.

My concern at this time is that this just kind of fell in my lap. My mom talked me up to my first client and he recommended me to this one. I have experience so I am not a total novice. Since I am just starting out and have no idea how this will go I can't invest a lot ahead of doing this job. I don't have extra funds to invest living check to check right now. The client is aware I don't have insurance if I damage a vehicle I will have to pay for the repairs and he is aware if I am injured on his property his insurance is responsible.

Unfortunately where I am finding info on web sites even city ones is very difficult. I generally end up having to call, get passed around and don't always get answers. This process takes hour I don't have at this time. I am however trying to research permitting and city ordinance on how much of the window can be covered.

gnubler

My concern at this time is that this just kind of fell in my lap. I have experience so I am not a total novice. Since I am just starting out and have no idea how this will go I can't invest a lot ahead of doing this job. I don't have extra funds to invest living check to check right now.

BB82, I was in similar shoes when I started my sign shop in 2021. After my life turned upside down in 2020 due to the shutdown I was essentially broke and running out of options. The business was dumped in my lap by the former business owners who wanted an immediate exit, and I had about a month to scramble and find a shop to lease, get a business license/insurance/tax stuff, and transition all the active accounts into the new business so I wouldn't lose them. It was take it or leave it, completely insane, but that's how life goes. I was also working another job 50 miles away, and had to do that for the first few months...terrible. There was no business plan or any capital to invest, I just hit the ground running with what experience I had (graphic design and some plotter/wide format experience). I'll never forget the day about a month in when I went in one morning and thought "WTF have I done?" I was petrified, had no idea what I was doing. Within six months I had more work than I could handle and it's been pretty steady ever since. Gino and his gang gave me constant sh!t with the questions I asked, and still do, but I've learned a ton from the forum. I'm very frugal and careful, no debt, and learning as I go. One person shop. Late last year I moved into a larger space with triple the square footage and am getting better quality jobs because of it.

Just start small and do what you can do, give it a year and see how it goes. If you've made enough profit after a year it might encourage you to take the next step to grow.

BabyBandit82

BB82, I was in similar shoes when I started my sign shop in 2021. After my life turned upside down in 2020 due to the shutdown I was essentially broke and running out of options. The business was dumped in my lap by the former business owners who wanted an immediate exit, and I had about a month to scramble and find a shop to lease, get a business license/insurance/tax stuff, and transition all the active accounts into the new business so I wouldn't lose them. It was take it or leave it, completely insane, but that's how life goes. I was also working another job 50 miles away, and had to do that for the first few months...terrible. There was no business plan or any capital to invest, I just hit the ground running with what experience I had (graphic design and some plotter/wide format experience). I'll never forget the day about a month in when I went in one morning and thought "WTF have I done?" I was petrified, had no idea what I was doing. Within six months I had more work than I could handle and it's been pretty steady ever since. Gino and his gang gave me constant sh!t with the questions I asked, and still do, but I've learned a ton from the forum. I'm very frugal and careful, no debt, and learning as I go. One person shop. Late last year I moved into a larger space with triple the square footage and am getting better quality jobs because of it.

Just start small and do what you can do, give it a year and see how it goes. If you've made enough profit after a year it might encourage you to take the next step to grow.
Hi Gnubler,

Thank you, that helps. I too have graphic design and plotter and oversize media skills. It looks like this is a great opening in my area and my husband and I have always talked about having our own copy/sign business one day. Now I am in the middle of it. I am lucky in that I work from home at my current job which helps.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from Western Ky. Search graphtec on Marketplace, it might surprise ya. As for the supplies, check your local sign supply places. The smaller ones will likely work with you without being fully legal (yet) but as StaceyK suggested, I'd at least get the tax and LLC stuff going right away.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You can check out Signwarehouse also...they have a lot of deals on cutters and I don't think you need a Tax ID to buy vinyl, you might just pay a little more? I think the Signwarehouse brand cutters are perfectly fine as starter cutters. The only thing I would worry about with a cheap cutter is if you have to do long cuts like a 12" x 14' panel on the side of that trailer, you might want to break them down to 4' sections. Sometimes the cheap cutters don't track that well.

JBurton

Signtologist
Welcome from the ark.
Just to point out, I don't think whatever software is driving the cricut will work on something like a graphtec, and if you don't already have software, that will be an investment itself.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Welcome from the ark.
Just to point out, I don't think whatever software is driving the cricut will work on something like a graphtec, and if you don't already have software, that will be an investment itself.
A buddy gave me a plotter for using at home/Personal use, it's a 24" US Cutter, and I got VinylMaster for about $60.