• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Memphis, TN

Well, I am no sign maker nor am I in the graphics business. I did, though, recently acquire two Gerber Sabre 404 CNC routers and I am looking to move some components. My plan is to retrofit these machines with ball screws and different CNC controls. Looking to move existing control cabinets (2), key pads (3), vacuum pump system 3 phase, Perske 7hp spindles (2), motherboards (2), various other boards and cards. If anyone is intrested hit me up. I am looking for reasonable offers. Can send pics on request.

pro-up

Hello from NC! You may not be a sign maker, but sign companies are frequently searching for companies capable of custom cutting metals and other materials (especially acrylic). One project we did several years ago was create server signs for a large IT company that wanted to label all their racks. We had to locate someone able to custom cut hundreds of metal blanks that we then painted and labeled. Just a thought I wanted to share in case you are looking for ways to work with sign companies. A really large frame maker closed recently (JRS) and people are scrambling to find frames. I'm not sure of your interests or capabilities, but I wish you the best of luck!

Hello from NC! You may not be a sign maker, but sign companies are frequently searching for companies capable of custom cutting metals and other materials (especially acrylic). One project we did several years ago was create server signs for a large IT company that wanted to label all their racks. We had to locate someone able to custom cut hundreds of metal blanks that we then painted and labeled. Just a thought I wanted to share in case you are looking for ways to work with sign companies. A really large frame maker closed recently (JRS) and people are scrambling to find frames. I'm not sure of your interests or capabilities, but I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for the reply. I am fully capable. Machinist by trade for 30 years, now a project Engineer in the liquid packaging industry. I spent most of my carreer in this industry building tooling for rotary packaging machines with a cnc router. I now have a cnc in my garage and a Shaper Origin. I am also a photographer and have spent time in photoshop and illustrator. I may have to look into the sign making. Thanks for the idea.

pro-up

You def have the skills to cut rectangles and squares sign people usually need, lol. Photography is a skill I wish I had. My mother used to develop her own film. She had the full set up. It was neat, but nothing I ever learned unfortunately.

I have a 4x8 CNC that I could use a vacuum pump for. I routed sign foam for our last job and what a mess. Also if I may ask NC, who is looking for frames? My husband can build frames very quickly. We recently had a job where we did 30 signs for a new apartment complex with a very tight deadline. My husband built 30 frames with mounting brackets in 3 days.

You def have the skills to cut rectangles and squares sign people usually need, lol. Photography is a skill I wish I had. My mother used to develop her own film. She had the full set up. It was neat, but nothing I ever learned unfortunately.
I have yet to develop my own film or any darkroom prints, but both are on my list. I mostly shoot digital, but i still shoot film on occasion. 35mm, medium format, and large format.

I have a 4x8 CNC that I could use a vacuum pump for. I routed sign foam for our last job and what a mess. Also if I may ask NC, who is looking for frames? My husband can build frames very quickly. We recently had a job where we did 30 signs for a new apartment complex with a very tight deadline. My husband built 30 frames with mounting brackets in 3 days.
Is your table set up for vacuum & you just need a pump. This one is 480, 3phase. 10hp I think.

pro-up

Hello, this is more a general need. We work as wholesalers for sign companies working on ADA, wayfinding, and experiential signage (mostly interior projects). And today I just saw a bid with a frame requirement for one of the sign types. Take a look at this image, is this something you can fabricate? I am just curious as I do not have a need for frames at the moment. Generally speaking, it does seem there is a need. If you go back through some of the prior posts, you'll see people asking where to source frames.

I also completely understand the mess cncs can make! lol

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-08 234821.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-08 234821.png
    442.1 KB · Views: 32

David A

Premium Subscriber
I only have 2 phase in my shop.
I have a rotary converter that I used to power my Gerber 408 vacuum pump and variable speed spindle motor. (It produces 3-phase from single-phase.) I’m no longer in the business, and would let it go. Located in SE AZ. Crate and ship to be discussed.

fdarling

I have retrofit several Gerber Sabre routers, and recently developed a drop-in replacement motherboard due to popular demand. You can read more about on another forum post:

Gerber Sabre 404/408 LinuxCNC Retrofit Motherboard

The Gerber Sabre's electrical cabinet will actually run off 220V single phase rather than 208V 3-phase. You only need two hots and a ground, you don't even need the neutral unless you are using the 120VAC outputs (wired with one 120V leg of 220V and neutral).

The same goes for the VFD electrical box (for the high frequency spindle option), it will actually run with only 2 of the 3 legs hooked up with 220V. The trick here is that the VFD requires two specific phases phases be powered, as the "brains" (low voltage control board) on the VFD are powered off only 2 out of the 3 phases, and if you pick the wrong ones the LCD won't come on. It is usually either R&T phases (skipping middle S) or R&S (skip last T). I have yet to see it be S&T (skip first R)...

I just wanted to let you know that you don't need a rotary converter to run it off 220V single phase!