• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from NH

brandywine

My name is Yori, I have been doing graphic design and web design for a few years now, looking to expand into the sign market.

recently aquired a Vinyl Express Panther 24 with LXI sign master Pro bundle.

Just made my first sign this week...

I am looking for tips on procuring substrates for exterior signs like alumalite, coroplast and 4x8 sheets of solid or pre painted signs. Bought a few books and videos.

harder than it looked..... :)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Welcome to our boards Yori.

Have you checked for sign supply distributors in your area? Many will stock commonly used substrates as well as provide advice on getting good results.

:signs101:

jimdes

New England Sign Supply - Woburn, MA
Plastic Supply - Manchester, NH
Artist & Craftsmen - Portland, ME
Garston - Haverhill, MA

Greg

There's also Supplies Unlimited in Wakefield, MA. They have general sign supplies (unsure on substrates) but they have vinyl, blades, equipment, etc. Seems to be a small family run business. They were friendly when I visited and picked up some app tape, blades, etc. for a rush job.

http://www.suppliesunlim.com/

You'll probably need to call or visit. Their web store ain't all its cracked up to be yet (imho).

brandywine

Greg,

thanks for the heads up... are you local .... I would like to find a local experienced shop to bring larger jobs to in trade for some mentoring...

yori

brandywine

replies

Thx to all for the info, it definately helps, i'll be on line tonight doing some research now ...

Yori is Russian but i'm 4th generation from Philadelphia.... my parents were hippies and I got stuck with the name :)

I grabbed a few books on line for some education. ... should I stick with all cast vinyl for exterior use.?? looks like the way ... I am looking to do some truck lettering .... gold on black shadow .....

yori

Greg

I don't know that I'd put myself in the experienced category. At least as far as application of vinyl is concerned. My forte is more in the graphic design area which is something I have been doing for 15+ years. My shop is my home. I too am still learning the mechanics of application, cutting, substrates, etc. and all the other details necessary to do this type of work WELL. The main thing is I enjoy it.

I will be purchasing a Versacamm (approx. 30" Print & Cut) shortly and would be happy to assist you in your needs. If you ever need to borrow a cup of vinyl just let me know.

nodrenim

Hi, Yori, Welcome to the craziest business in the world. I've been in it for 43 years now. Now I do mostly neon bending in N.C. Worked in Maine and N.H. It's great country, but too cold for me. Have a great career. Nod Renim

nesscoben

Yori, Welcome to this insanity, it will keep you up at night! New England Sign Supply, nesignsupply.com delivers to your door whatever substrates you need. We can also support you in any software and equipment you need in the future. Welcome!

Ben

Pro Image

I think OL' Yori has been here for awhile..........

1st Post on this threat was on 6-15-2004....................:ROFLMAO:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Yori, Welcome to this insanity, it will keep you up at night! New England Sign Supply, nesignsupply.com delivers to your door whatever substrates you need. We can also support you in any software and equipment you need in the future. Welcome!

Ben
It looks as though this company dug this old tread up to put in a plug for their supplies.... Get a MM and you can advertise as much as you want.. Now you just look bad!

beckys

of course they don't tell you they charge like 7.00-15.00 dollars for delivery, no matter what it is.
only use NESS when absolutely necessary.

Mason

New England Sign Supply - Woburn, MA
Plastic Supply - Manchester, NH
Artist & Craftsmen - Portland, ME
Garston - Haverhill, MA

Supplies Unlimited, Wakefield Ma.
Zimmern Sign Supply, Newburyport Ma.

...........Uh yeah... old thread... I got suckered...