• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello From Texas

rjason

I'm Jason. I am a professional firefighter and paramedic in the Dallas area and I have a small calligraphy business on the side. For years I have been interested in hand lettering and hand painted signs and old school pinstriping. I recently couldn't stand it any more and ordered some one-shot and a few lettering quills along with a few other supplies. I have repeatedly watched as many videos on YouTube as I could find and poured over pics of old signs and letters for hours trying to absorb as much as I could but have been a little discouraged at the lack of info available for this artform on the internet. I have been practicing as much as possible with my busy schedule and have made a few attempts at copying what I've seen so far with varying success but I'm hungry to learn more!

My goal is to work hard and develop my skills with the dream of transitioning from my calligraphy business to being a professional sign painter (part time, of course, until I retire from the fire dept).

I was thrilled when I stumbled onto this site today and browsed a little through the forums. I am excited to pic the brains of any willing artists here. I have a lot to learn and a lot of questions! For instance, I can't seem to get powder through my pounced patterns to save my life!

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone willing to share their knowledge and experience with this newbie aspiring sign painter!

Jason

Eatachair

Soft squeegee
Brother, guys like you are a dying breed. Not many people out in the sign world do hand painting any more. There is a demand for it. Supplies for your art can be difficult to find. Start reaching out to some of your local shops and have some samples ready to show. GOOD LUCK !

Welcome from North Carolina! It's nice to see a fellow firefighter/sign guy on here. I am pretty much in the same boat, learning how to hand letter and stripe isn't easy. I've been told the best thing to do is to find an old sign painter to watch and learn from... the problem is they aren't easy to find!