• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello New member with ???

Tony562

Hello all I an new to the vinyl scene looking to start making decals, t shirts and rhinestone shirts. Any advice is welcomed.

One question for all I have a chance to pick up a Roland CX-24 for $450 or a Roland GX-24 with a little vinyl and extras for 1500 or a Stika sv15 with extras for 800. Keep In mind im on a budget leaning towards the CX any thoughts?

Also what are you thoughts on the ProCut Contour 2400?
[h=2][/h][h=2][/h]

Last edited:

Tony562

Thanks for the info Studebaker yeah I was thinking the the sv15 was gonna be to small i also herd the the 15" vinyl rolls are mor expensive than the 24" is this true it don't make sense why they would cost more. Any how any thoughts in the CX and GX is this a good price for them?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
cx-24 is used. ... they stopped making it a few years ago when they added an optical eye to the machine ... it became the gx-24.

judging from the prices ... you're going used on both. ... when you can a brand new gx-24 for around $1700 including a stand sometimes ... I don't know why you would want to go used in exchange for a few hundred off and a few rolls of half used material.

Think about what you need, and if you're actually doing this to make any sort of money you should be able to pay for the plotter in a few months so unless your a hobbyist go new ... you know how used that plotter is, how much they sent through that plotter, or what they actually plotted on to. It would be a shame to buy a used plotter for 1500 and only use it for 6 months before the motor goes because the dude cut sand blast mask every day.

binki

Your budget means nothing as you can pay for the cutter in a single job. The materials to do the job will cost you more than the machine ever will. Given all of that and assuming you can manage the software part of the biz, if you get a good deal on a cutter and can use it to buy up, then do it. If you don't know anything about this biz, then you may be in for a world of hurt. The cutter is only a part of the deal, the software and creative side of you, along with knowledge of the industry, is really key here.

If all you have is the best machine in the industry with no knowledge and experience then you are in for some hurt. If all you have is knowledge and experience, you can make a booger talk.

Good luck, we started with nothing and have built more than we can have imagined to a pain. You can do the same.

JMPrinting

Like mentioned above, if you are using this to make money it will pay off. Go with a new GX-24 if possible. Don't worry about scraps someone is throwing in over $200 buying the machine new. The stand is nice but it you are doing shirt stuff and small decal orders buy the stand later. If you're doing this for your personal use get the cheap machine. Do not get a stika...

Tony562

Thanks for all the advice guys...... As i said I am new to the industry, only reason i am looking in getting a cutter is because my wife has a small boutique and has been getting a lot of request from her customers about getting custom baby T Shirts made in glitter vinyl and rhinestone. I am not a pro but know my way around Photoshop and illustrator but like i said I and new to the vinyl cutting side. I know that the cutter is just part of the deal here and since my post have come to find that buying used might not be a good ideal. So now My question is do i shell out the $1500+ for a roland or graphtech or go with a $600 GCC .

Also one of you guys mentioned that rhinestone wasn't worth getting in to what is that just curious?

Also whats the deal with sandblast mask media does that cut the life of your machine short?

Thanks to all.