• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Helmet wraps

RRP

I have been asked to do some helmet wraps. Do they make templates for helmets? Or what is the best way to go about it? Also what products work best for this? The few I looked at are done in 3 pieces, the sides and a middle.

Circleville Signs

There are no templates that I am aware of.

Helmet wraps are a B!TCH. In order to make them profitable you must a) develop a process that works, and works quickly or b) charge way more than anyone in their right mind would pay for 3sf of vinyl.

I'd use IJ380C, but i stay away from helmets at all costs...because no one wants to pay me $600 to wrap one :smile:

RRP

Thank You Gary. They look like a lot of work to me. I have a hard time keeping up with our work load now. :)

formanek

There are no templates that I am aware of.

Helmet wraps are a B!TCH. In order to make them profitable you must a) develop a process that works, and works quickly or b) charge way more than anyone in their right mind would pay for 3sf of vinyl.

I'd use IJ380C, but i stay away from helmets at all costs...because no one wants to pay me $600 to wrap one :smile:
:goodpost:

rjssigns

Helmet wraps are touched by the hand of Satan.
Give them this: killerpaint.com then smile as they walk away.

RRP

Thanks guys I hate turning away business but did not want to take helmets on. You have given me strength to point towards the door when I see one come through the door! :ROFLMAO:

SignArtGraphix

I've done a helmet wrap before... I didn't have that much trouble. I designed a graphic for it that wouldn't be affected by stretching. Then I added some smaller graphics on top like the racers name and number. I used 3M.

Circleville Signs

I've done a helmet wrap before... I didn't have that much trouble. I designed a graphic for it that wouldn't be affected by stretching. Then I added some smaller graphics on top like the racers name and number. I used 3M.

Stretching isn't the issue - paneling is. How did you hide your seams? Did you even care about hiding the seams? How did you deal with vents, and recessed areas at the tail end of complex curves?

Oh...Wait. It was easy. Never mind.

Mosh

Helmet Wrap Customer....

Customer: aahhh can you put, you know, a picture of Dale and a big "American Eagle"
and a big "3", but not them yeller Wrangler coloured ones, you know the black...

Me: Get THE F^% OUT OF MY SHOP!!!!!

trik

Andy Lutz art, he is not cheap but does amazing airbrush work. Google or facebook him. If the customer wants it bad enough, great place to send them. Of course if we have a merchant vendor here I am not aware of, I would send them there first ;-)

RogueRoller

LOL, got some good Laughter out of this thread.
If you want to make good money With helmets and do them fast here is how.

you make yourself a Hydrographics Tank and print your own Hydrographics film using your wide format printer. No seams, no bobbles, spray with a clear coat and get paid.
I charge 350.00 for any design they want takes me about 35 minutes

Think outside the box- Heck just throw the BOX away!!!

Heck I do complete Harley Davidson fenders and tanks this way, plus Quads,
For a Harley I charge $1800.00
One day booked out doing motorcycles can pay over $13,000 for the day.

Just thought I would try to help on this one. Some times a sticker is not the way to go.

Made my tank out of a large horse watering tub.
Built my set up for under $500.00

Last edited:

RogueRoller

Here is a Hydrodip Bike Tank.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 147

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks good,
what wide format will work and who sells the printable film?
Net search is turning up nothing but direct Chinese manufacturers.

wayne k
guam usa

RogueRoller

Looks good,
what wide format will work and who sells the printable film?
Net search is turning up nothing but direct Chinese manufacturers.

wayne k
guam usa

For the ink and sheeting I would have to get that info for you. I have it on my Office computer sorry about that. I'm on vacation and won't be there until Wednesday.

As for the printer i use a old falcon outdoor by Mutoh that I picked up used for $325 on cregslist. was not printing ran a lot of cleaner threw it and she cleaned rite up.

Bly

I'm interested in this process too.
I have a lot of biker friends and would love to know of an easier way of applying graphics to bikes and helmets.

RogueRoller

Hmmmmm well until I get to my office to get you all the info on the supplies, may I point you to YouTube to watch some videos on the process. Most of them use a preprinted graphic like the tank you see above. What you will see is a amazing way of putting graphics on fast one after another. Pay attention to techniques they all use for the different shapes.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Hydrographics has been discussed here before but the option to print your own images on the film with a wide format did not come up.

wayne k
guam usa

ThinkRight

Helmet Wrap Customer....

Customer: aahhh can you put, you know, a picture of Dale and a big "American Eagle"
and a big "3", but not them yeller Wrangler coloured ones, you know the black...

Me: Get THE F^% OUT OF MY SHOP!!!!!

No No No !
Tell customer sure ....
$2300 dollars and it will take 2 weeks.
Win win
If he takes it great
If not,no problem.