• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help me cut thick stuff

GiveUsSigns

We just purchased a Summa St2140. We are trying to cut the 3-6mil vinyl with 10 mil laminate and eventually 6mil/15mil combo for 21mil thick cut for offroad stuff.
We tried multiple test runs and can't seem to cut through both the laminate and the vinyl.

We can't seem to get the Summa dialed in to cut through both the laminate and the vinyl. We have already put in the heavier blade for 10mil plus cuts, but I am not sure what to set everything to. It is late Sunday and thought I would throw this out there. I will call the tech desk in the morning, but any help with this would be awesome.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Take the blade out enough and then increase the weight until the result is satisfactory.
That's it. When cutting with heavy weight I would slow down the cutter speed.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
1 mil ~= 25 microns (=0.025mm)

Usually cast vinyl would be around 2 mil and matching laminate around the same or occasionally thinner.

Monomerics are usually in the 3-4 mil range.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Do you still need help with this? Are you drag knifing the material? When you say 21 mil, do you mean .5 millimeter or 21 millimeter? I work for a tool and knife mfg called xxx. We sell knife and router bits for your cnc. Let me know if I can help.

Best,
Josh

You gotta be a merchant member to advertise yourself.

Also as far as I’m aware a summa roll cutter isn’t a CNC.

Last edited by a moderator:

IsItFasst

I hate cutting that thick stuff but people do it so if you do it enough you can get it dialed in. Make sure enough blade is sticking out for 1. 60 degree blade needs to be used for something so thick (maybe even a larger angle if available). One of my machines wouldn't even cut thick stuff using max force so I ended up having to tell the software to cut twice and that did the trick.

stxrmxn

You bought the wrong cutter for the job. We ended up having to get a refund for our Summa ST cutting the exact same stuff. People will tell you otherwise but there you go.

GiveUsSigns

Spent hour with the tech, trying to dial in the cut. Summa just wont cut through my thick vinyl/laminate combo. I use Substance vinyl which is the goto vinyl for offroad type vehicles.
I utilize Substance X1 6mil vinyl and either Substance 10mil or 15 mil vinyl. Again, we were testing out the 6mil/10mil combo...16mil total.
We tried every setting, switched blades and we could not penetrate both layers cleanly. Substance is tough stuff, which is a good thing for offroad stuff.
Sadly, we could get the laminate layer cut with settings maxed out, but the Summa would just not cut both layers cleanly.

GiveUsSigns

You bought the wrong cutter for the job. We ended up having to get a refund for our Summa ST cutting the exact same stuff. People will tell you otherwise but there you go.
The Summa is supposed to cut up to 40+ mil thick stuff. But the Substance material is super dense and pretty dang durable. The reason we use it for offroad stuff. I know the flatbed is probably the answer, but at this point it is not quite in our price range. Even for a smaller Summa. I am sad. Maybe a double cut is the option? but, well, it shouldn't be.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Really, you slowed the cutter down, weight to 600 grams and it doesn't go through?
Must be one heck of a stuff you got there..

GiveUsSigns

Really, you slowed the cutter down, weight to 600 grams and it doesn't go through?
Must be one heck of a stuff you got there..
Yes. We had everything to max. Slow down to slowest cut setting, max pressures, blade changed, did everything, even the tech was frustrated as I was. I officially pulled out my hair, which I have none of now.

GiveUsSigns

Cut in 2 passes. Increase blade depth and pressure.
I thought about the 2 pass try, but the plotter is supposed to cut in one. So we are trying the 45 degree double wedge blade and see where we end it.
I am sure a double cut would work, but that is a bandaid and not fixing the actual cut issue.
I am actually heading to Airmark tomorrow for a trial run with the double wedge blade.

Snydo

For what it's worth, I cut an 18 mil combo several times a week at 515 grams of pressure with a 60-degree blade and I can easily blast through the backer if I get overzealous with my initial blade depth.