• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! Printer stops....while "Printing"??!!

Signsforwhile

Valuejet 1204

Past couple of days the printer has been stopping randomly in the middle of jobs. The screen on the printer says "Printing" and the light is red like it's receiving, but on the computer end in Production Manager the file is sent and done. I think it's a network issue but not sure what.

randya

Certainly sounds like a network issue.
Could be a connection or a cable.

Check Production Manager for an error.

anotherdog

most likely a network issue.
Many times its an IP conflict with your RIP or printer having the same IP as another thing on the network. Either renew all IP's on your router or turn off everything and restart.

It's a pita, but I get it quite a lot. Probably because of wireless things like ipads and iphones dropping off and re-entering the net.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Could also be your firewall. 9 times out of 10 when I have a customer that is complaining about the same issue you are having it is either the Windows Firewall or a third party one, turn them off and see if it works.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
just logged into my router.....my printer doesnt show up?

Your printer won't show up in the router because the router is only showing devices that it has assigned an IP address to through DHCP. Your printer has a static IP address so it doesn't use the DHCP feature of the router.

Signsforwhile

Chris....tried that. didn't help!! all of our network cables run through the walls, i'm going to run out and pick up a new one and give it a shot.

ucmj22

set up your printer to have an IP at the high range of the allotted IP adresses. all of our computers and printer have astatic IPs, but anyone who logs on to the wireless is DHCP. in order to avoid any conflicts, our IP range is from .001-.200 and all static computers are between .190 and .200 so when the router assigns DHCP to wireless, it starts 180 IPs away from any machines that matter.

ucmj22

the printer ip right now is 192.168.001.253 should it be way higher?

that depends on what your range is, and what your router is assigning for DHCP clients. your next step would be to get one of these and make sure your cables dont have any faults. If you ran the cable yourself, you need to make sure you used the right cable. solid copper ethernet cable needs to be terminated in to blocks, while anything that has a crimped RJ-45 connector needs to be stranded cable. if you have solid copper cables crimped in to RJ-45 connectors you could be getting bad connections and ghost faults that way.

ucmj22

this has been working like this for over a year and half. so the cables are correct ones.

not necessarily, solid copper cables will work for a while, but over time, the expanding and contracting of the solid copper wires will cause the connections to fault.