• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help trying to figure out sign pole footing size.

Turbophein

pole will be 7ft above ground, with a 3'x8' sign mounted on a single pole, making it a total of 10ft high. standard double sided aluminum sign light box. i was figuring a 4" pole, probably steel, maybe aluminum but doubtful. i tried finding some footing calculators but they want a lot more info than i have. i would rather overkill it a little bit than have an issue later on. local inspector has no codes to go by so i am on my own.

thanks

Turbophein

"So, are you using a flange fit or saddle ??"

honestly, i do not know anything about this. i am a designer/printer, but a i had a good customer ask me to make this sign for them, and they would install the pole and sign, i am just trying to figure out what is needed to give them the correct information.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
More than likely, I would cement a 1/2" flange with 4 bolts directly into the concrete. The hole would be 60" deep and the pole would be 6". The pole would extend up through the bottom of the sign and rest on the top, in a saddle, so to speak. Your cabinet will be approximately 12" or so deep, so the pole won't show up at all. Lamps will go up and down with the ballast mounted to one of the sides.